Could it be a leaking drainplug?

barts1971

New to the forums here so apologies if there are threads that address this already. I recently bought a 1977 used boat. We completely refurbished the hull, sanded, filled in dings, etc. with Evercoat Formula 27 and then painted 2 coats with Pettit Easypoxy paint. We repaired the surface cracks in the deck with Gelcoat repair. We also pulled the two ports and reseated them with silicone sealant, as well as pulling all hardware off the hull and reseating it with new silicone sealant. The maststep appears solid and original as best I can tell. After all our work, our boat looks brand new and we launched it yesterday. Great fun!

After about 3 hours in the water, we pulled the hull drain plug and about 1/2-1 gallons of water came out. The boat is older and does not have an autobailer installed, just a cockpit drain plug which I plugged with a rubber stopper. When we were refinishing the bottom, I noted that the plastic cockpit drain assembly appeared loose as I could turn it, but was unable to unscrew it to remove and reseat it.

My question is this... is this my likely culprit leak into the hull? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for resolving this? Should I try to pull it off and replace the fitting? Just bead it with silicone against the hull? Other ideas?

If that's not my likely culprit, do you have other common places I should look for leaks and any recommendations on how to find them? I really feel the hull and deck are very solid so that's why I am focused on the drain plug.

Thanks for your help. I found these forums to be incredibly helpful as I was researching how to refurbish the boat...

Hi Barts,

If the fitting in the base of the cockpit is plastic (and it is loose) it is likely that is has failed completely and is the source of your leak. The replacement bushes are made from brass and do a much better job in this area than the plastic ones (I had a plastic one on my first boat and this leaked badly until i replaced it).

APS list this as follows but other dealers may have it in stock: http://www.apsltd.com/p-24102-cockpit-bush-assy-brass.aspx

When you fit the new bush you will need to ensure you seal both sides using a good quality flexible sealant as the cockpit and hull do move around a little.

Did you check the hull/deck joint (the rails and the inside of the daggerboard case) ? Those would be other potential leak points, as well as the drain plug in the stern.

You can use soapy water and a little air pressure to pinpoint the leaks - search the threads here for the technique

Thank you guys for the tips. After looking at the 'rectal shot' and related thread, I do suspect this is a major culprit. I'll order the brass bushing.

Do you have any recommendations for removing the plastic one? I tried to unscrew it when we were refinishing the hull and it wouldn't give (granted I didn't get too 'Terminator' on it as I didn't want to break anything). But, is it a screw fitting or a compression fit? Should I just grab a pair of pliers and go nuts?

Thanks again,

Barts

the plastic bushing pops off... you will need to take a screwdriver to it... and also can you post a picture of your boat??? i am quite interested in how the petit easypoxy turned out!!! :D

Thanks Lazzzerrr! Here are some before and after pics...

Before:
IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0210.jpg

After: 2 coats of Pettit Easypoxy - roll and tip
IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_4717.JPG

Thank you guys for the tips. After looking at the 'rectal shot' and related thread, I do suspect this is a major culprit. I'll order the brass bushing......

Thanks again,

Barts

Where did you find a brass bushing? I'm not having any success with that, everywhere "backordered".

Wow nice job on the hull!

That amount of water sounds like it could be the bailor fitting or maybe hull drain plug, don't trust anything just because its new, even when sealed properly sometimes things just leak,

Even the new hulls leak sometimes, the dealers take all the fittings off and reseal them, usually works

Replaced the cockpit through hull fitting and that solved it!! Also have an inspection port aft of the cockpit so went in and applied Boatlife caulk (strong stuff from West Marine) all around the joint between the hull and cockpit. Then seated the new fitting in with Boatlife as well. Worked like a charm. Sailed several weeks ago and no water leak!

Benjamin, I had the same problem so ultimately contacted Laser Performance directly. It was backordered there as well but finally shipped a couple months ago.

Thanks everyone for the help. We named the boat Phoenix and had a great time. Here's a picture of her in action...

image.tiff

Where did you find a brass bushing? I'm not having any success with that, everywhere "backordered".

Welcome to the new Laser Performance method of running their business. Carry only enough inventory to build new boats (most of the time), let dealers fend for themselves for spares

Not sure who you have called, but start with the bigger dealers:
APS www.apsltd.com
West Coast Sailing www.westcoastsailing.net
Colie Sails www.coliesails.com
Kolius Sailing www.kosailing.com
Svendsens - www.svendsens.com
Dinghy Locker - www.landfallnavigation.com/dinghysailing.html
Tackle Shack - www.tackleshack.com

Throw in a Candian Dealer as well
Fogh Marine - http://shop.foghmarine.com/browse.cfm/laser-cockpit-bushing-assembly/4,5271.html

Welcome to the new Laser Performance method of running their business. Carry only enough inventory to build new boats (most of the time), let dealers fend for themselves for spares

Not sure who you have called, but start with the bigger dealers:
APS www.apsltd.com
West Coast Sailing www.westcoastsailing.net
Colie Sails www.coliesails.com
Kolius Sailing www.kosailing.com
Svendsens - www.svendsens.com
Dinghy Locker - www.landfallnavigation.com/dinghysailing.html
Tackle Shack - www.tackleshack.com

Throw in a Candian Dealer as well
Fogh Marine - http://shop.foghmarine.com/browse.cfm/laser-cockpit-bushing-assembly/4,5271.html

Thanks for this, Tentmaker. I'd already called some and struck out, there are others you don't have here I called without success, some here listed I'd not seen before, and finally struck gold with Kolius. They had but one, and I snatcht that one up right off.
Every store: "It's backordered with Laser Performance". What they don't know is that LP doesn't even have them.
btw, Fogh Marine has 21! but international shipping was $35, so the money wasn't ever gonna let me get that one!
Thanks for your help
Benjamin

I went to the hardware store and got a piece of copper pipe and put a slight flange on one side. It works very welll so far, but my laser is a 71 . I mention it only if someone is reading this and given up on the bushings. Do read the other threads cited.

Just a word of caution - the bushing has solved the leak problem but it is not the complete fix. The reason why the POS plastic bushings fail is 1) they are plastic and 2) one or more of the three attachment points between bottom and the aft bulkhead of the cockpit and the inside of the hull. I worked on a 1980 boat two years ago with a similar problem. a previous owner changed out the bushing and thought all was well. However, because there was only one rigid attachment point (i.e. the bronze bushing) the liner would move and flex in a chop. The result was that the hull started to crack around the bushing. Do not wait until you see cracks in your nice paint job. IMHO, you should really glass the after bulkhead to the inside of the hull.

My laser doesn't have a plastic or brass bushing in the bailer hole and my boat takes on about 2 gallons of water every time I sail could this be the same problem with me

My laser doesn't have a plastic or brass bushing in the bailer hole and my boat takes on about 2 gallons of water every time I sail could this be the same problem with me
We confirmed our problem by filling the boat with a few liters of water into the hull plug from a hose; closed the plug, and when we tippt it back to drain, the water poured liberally out of that bailer hole. It was nearly impossible to find a new brass bushing however. Above are a few places I checkt, had success with Kolius, and snatcht up their last. Where in Europe you'll find one, I cannot say.
The new bushing solved our problem. You definitely need that plastic or brass bushing; obviously the latter is preferable.

I completely dried the hull and then I filled the cockpit with water and the opened the cock bailer and emptied the water out of the cockpit I then opened my inspection port and about 1/2 3/4 of the. Water was in the hull.

We confirmed our problem by filling the boat with a few liters of water into the hull plug from a hose; closed the plug, and when we tippt it back to drain, the water poured liberally out of that bailer hole. It was nearly impossible to find a new brass bushing however. Above are a few places I checkt, had success with Kolius, and snatcht up their last. Where in Europe you'll find one, I cannot say.
The new bushing solved our problem. You definitely need that plastic or brass bushing; obviously the latter is preferable.

You should be able to buy the brass fitting from a plumbing store.

Would I have to buy something that looked exactly like the laser brass bushing or could I just get a brass pipe the same diameter and length and silicone it in place. Would that work?

Would I have to buy something that looked exactly like the laser brass bushing or could I just get a brass pipe the same diameter and length and silicone it in place. Would that work?

It would be a temporary fix. Why not just order the correct brass fitting with bushing and nut and install it so that the issue is sorted properly? I just did a search and found a few suppliers in your part of the world who would ship it for free.

I have a website where I can order the part from but I'm bring my boat home for storage and repairs during the winter so I might try get a brass pipe and fit it temporarily to se if this will fix the problem and then order the proper bushing online. Does anybody know the length and diameter of the fitting so I can get it at my hardware store.

I used a piece of tubing about 3 cm long or so....its raining or I'd go measure it better ... mushroomed out a bit on the cockpit side for the stopper- if you look you can see the length you need. Not that important provided you can work the bailer plunger and it is sufficiently flush to not hinder draining. Outside diameter needs to match the hole, I used some duct tape to ensure it was snug and sealed it well. Inside diameter needs to accept the stopper securely or pick up one that it does.

Did I mention I'm not a professional?

As far as I know, plastic ones have not been made in a long time. I would contact John Malony at APS Ltd. as he should know where you can find one. The last one I bought was from them and the part # was V30301. Good luck.

Unlikely unless you had a major split of the hull/deck join. I would definitely suspect this fitting. Purple Marine or Northampton Sailboats (both UK based) should have them in stock and should deliver to you if you cannot get one locally.

I would also go round and do a general re-seal of all the hull fittings but do not block the small hole under the front of the toe strap, this is a breather hole for the hull.

self bailer hole and the gunnels

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
My boat also seems to weigh a small amount now than the other lasers at my club. Does anybody know the reason for this and how to make my laser lighter

Back