Corrosion concealed in the Mast

Mike E

I just purchased a 1985 Capri 14.2. I could not resist the deal! $250.00, with the trailer; Wow, how could I pass that up! Well perhaps I should have. Well as it turns out the Mast was in pretty bad shape. I am having the bottom of the mast repaired, and the individual completing the work has informed me there appears to be significant corrosion in the mast. The extent of damage is unclear as the end of the Mast appears to be sealed with foam. I was wondering if I could obtain so advice on how I can treat the inside of the mast to stop or delay the corrosion damage. Any ideas?

I also have a 1985 14.2 that has been moored for most of it's life(fresh water). I highly question if corrosion is a problem internally. Aluminum oxide will build up as a powder but this rarely effects strength. The best way to stop corrosion is to coat it with epoxy after sanding and applying a primer. You'll have to get real creative figuring how to apply it inside the mast! I doubt all this would be neccessary.

I see, cleaning and applying epoxy let alone applying primer will be very difficult indeed. I will be picking up the mast this Friday. I plan on removing the foam at the top of the mast and running a PVC pipe down it connected to the house water to wash it out. Once done I will see if I can get my GoPro camera to go down its length and see what I am dealing with. Thanks for your thoughts, I will see hoe the inspection goes. Take care.

I see, cleaning and applying epoxy let alone applying primer will be very difficult indeed. I will be picking up the mast this Friday. I plan on removing the foam at the top of the mast and running a PVC pipe down it connected to the house water to wash it out. Once done I will see if I can get my GoPro camera to go down its length and see what I am dealing with. Thanks for your thoughts, I will see hoe the inspection goes. Take care.
Mike, How did it go? I was thinking about sealing my mast with spray foam to prevent turtleing. Do you think that will cause corrosion problems?

thanks
Mark

Mike, How did it go? I was thinking about sealing my mast with spray foam to prevent turtleing. Do you think that will cause corrosion problems?

thanks
Mark

I would not recommend it! I think adding the Hobie Mast Float is a much better idea. And it is a easily adapted.

At one point in time, Sunfish masts were filled with cork. This isn't done anymore, because once the mast starts to leak, the water decays the cork and can't readily get out. Foam would cause similar problems and would be hard to remove once half decayed and wet.
Better to seal the mast properly (air is lighter than foam) and use a mast float as indicated in the previous message.

Back