Convert fixed keel to centerboard

I don't know but you should check with Catalina parts department or your local Catalina deal if you have one. Good luck.

Keel to centerboard

I think you're asking the impossible. First, there is no such kit for a very simple reason - the two types of boat are totally different. The main difference is there is no opening for the centerboard built into the keel boat hull.

My bad, I thought you wanted to go center board to keel.What part of the country are you in? If you're close to So CA, I've got a mod 1 hull with centerboard , that needs a new home.

You should buy an old lido hull. I have seem them go for as little as 150dollars on ebay. There is probably no way that you would spend less than that amount on a kit + labor involved.

Unregistered said:
You should buy an old lido hull. I have seem them go for as little as 150dollars on ebay. There is probably no way that you would spend less than that amount on a kit + labor involved.

Why?! If he already has a Capri 14 Keel with the gear and gets a Capri 14 Centerboard hull, all of the gear could be moved over to the new hull.

I'm interested in the first question on this post. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this, I was just given an Omega 14 that is missing it's keel and it's sails. This is my first experience with sailboats.

Is it possible to convert the Omega 14 from a keel to a centerboard? From what I am told, the keel is at the bottom of Lake Mead. I would like to have a centerboard that is retractable for beaching, if possible.

What is the best way to get information on this sailboat? I have found very little on the internet about this boat. I have found nothing on the dimensions or details of the keel. Where can one find a manual?

Hi Kent,

To the best of my knowledge, the Omega was built as a centerboard-only boat. There are many people out there who mistakenly call centerboards a keel, or worse a swinging keel which only adds to the confusion. The Omega, Capri 14.2 and Coronado 15 share several traits, one of them being that their blades(slang for centerboards and rudders) are the same, as is the mounting hardware. Tell me if your Omega matches what you see in the photo(lifted from an ebay auction). Your barney post(the thing the mainsheet block and cleat attaches to) may be a moulded fiberglass piece instead of the metal one in the photo.

The basic clues for a centerboard installation is a slot in the middle of the deck about 1.5" wide and about 4'-6" long. As for sails, you may well have to use C14.2 ones. I don't think there is any difference in measurements aside from the different class logos.

About the Omega, as you may have read, the Omega was the predecesor of the Capri 14.2. It was designed and built around the same time as the Coronado 15, and they share many design characteristics. The hull has similar lines. The mast is almost identical except that the extrusion is a bit shorter on the Omega(and C14.2). I think the Omega has wire halyards with rope tails as well, unlike the C14.2. They were built side-by-side, and the Omega was available in the same wild range of colors that the C-15 was(a light and dark blue, red, yellow, a pea-green, a light and dark brown, a bright orange and a more ruddy orange). They were fairly popular, the sail numbers going into the 3,000s, IIRC.

Attachments

• 3b_12_sb.JPG
    3b_12_sb.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 172

Back