Considering the Purchase of a Capri 14.2

sh50sail

Hello Capri 14.2 Owners. I have been researching for a dinghy daysailer for the past 3-4 weeks. I am an active 50 year old who sailed Sabbot's and then Laser's as a teenager. I will most of the time be sailing singlehanded and desire something that will be fast & sporty but also looking for something that is large enough to comfortably have my wife join me. She, unlike myself, has no prior sailing experience and would desire a dry, stable sailing experience. I personally am intrigued by some of the Laser boats (e.g. Vago, Stratos) but don't believe my wife would ever join me. The Capri 14.2 looks like it might be a nice compromise boat......still fun and sporty for singlehanded sailing.....but stable & dry enough for my wife to be comfortable joining me now and then.

I have also been looking at the Laser V15 and the Vanguard Nomad. The Nomad looks ideal but also about 3 times more expensive than what it looks like I could purchase a used Capri 14.2 for.

I would be interested in any opinions or recommendations from seasoned sailors who have experience in both performance dinghys and more traditional daysailers. I will be sailing on large lakes and along the Southern CA coastline. Thanks, Scott

choice

For many of the owners here the C14 is a first sailer or a trade-up from a laser or sunfish class, but you may find a few that know those others you ref'd. Here's a synopsis of my experience with this boat:

I'm still a novice, but have managed to keep my Capri dry and upright in gusts above 22 mph, although it gets pretty hairy right around there. I'm in my early 50's, big enough to play in the NFL and in good shape but with a fragile back, and find my weight sufficient to balance the boat's heel and that I can singlehand it without being overwhelmed or particularly challenged physically. it is an absolute blast to have it out in heavy air, but takes alot of attention and energy.

It has proven easy to get underway, very responsive and comfortable. Except for an easy putt-putt sail I would not bring along more than one other adult or a couple kids as the cockpit would cramp.

I liked the reasonable price, and for me the weight and size are about ideal, I can lift the aft if need be to center it on the bunks or wash between. It's also been great to have this forum to learn on, and since they're still in production parts are easy to get with just outstanding service from the builder.

I would caution that this boat is a speedster, not meant to take abuse, heavy waves or weather or large payloads and is considered tender so it has to be trailered, launched and used with those factors in mind. The early Mod One version does not have a completely watertight forward hatch, which is a common complaint only fixable with some effort and ingenuity. Many have found it useful to add a Baby Bob mast float to prevent turtling and swim ladders on the transom.

If you buy used, I would highly recommend spending the dough to get a well-cared for version. They are well made, but at least on my 1987 mod one there is wood used in the bilge that would be nearly impossible to repair or replace had it been allowed to rot. A roller reefing jib and reefable main would be quite desirable, also. Read the history under the "home" link above for details on newer mods.

hope your sailing is great whatever you choose, I'd buy another Capri 14.2 without hesitation.

jim / so. fla. / 1857

Thanks Jim for sharing your thoughts. I found a 1999 (Mod 3 as I understand it) Capri 14.2 in very clean condition that I am strongly considering. It has the watertight door leading to the storage under the bow along with a furling jib.

As a follow up question, how well does the boat sail under mainsail alone?

I would take Greg up on his offer (very kind!) and bring along your bride. If she has never been sailing, or never sailed in a smaller boat (I'm making an assumption), then this would be a good experience. Obviously the boat is tender, which can make many non sailors uncomfortable very quickly. It may not bother her at all. You may find she would be just fine with a racing dinghy, or may require something with a weighted keel. My wife had never been sailing before we met, and loves it when we get the rail on the water. Matter of fact, when I was racing larger boats, she had no interest since she considered it "boring". Your wife may have to try it out and let you know.

Yer Both Lucky

Yes, very wise to try before you buy -- nice, Greg.

Now, what's this about a lady type person willing to risk a dunking in pursuit of some mad sailing fun?? I've heard of these rare and elusive sporting females, but seem to be unable to locate one here in my sixth decade of life despite some searching. As soon as I perform the standard gentlemanly disclosure to any of the ladies I've invited sailing -- it's a dinghy, we may get wet -- their former enthusiam cools right down. Guess I'll have to keep after the quest. ;)

jim / so fla.

Capri/Catalina 14.2

I have sailed small boats and cruising boats all my life but bought a V-15 a few years ago with the idea of using it to teach my grandkids to sail. While I have had fun with the boat it is too quick,wet and unstable for inexperienced sailors. As a result I am considering and will likely purchase a Capri 14.2.
Peter

Sailing under main alone

As a follow up question, how well does the boat sail under mainsail alone?

Scott --
I sailed mine that way and did find that I lost some performance; less speed and it wouldn't point as close to the wind as with the jib. But, it still sailed well and behaved predictably.

It was a light air day, so I can't say for sure that it might not have been less satisfactory and required more rudder or a shift in seating to keep it baloanced and on course had there been more energy moving through the rig.

Hope that helps, I intend to try it again next time out, just to compare it with and without jib some more for learning's sake.

jim / so. fla. / toshita

Back