Considering the purchase of a 1992 Sunfish

Fastbrianman

I am looking at a 1992 Sunfish that is for sale. It is in good shape without any known issues. I was looking at a sailing sight that said to avoid the Sunfish made by Pearson Sailing Yachts like the plague. Does anyone have any guidance on this?

Thanks,
Brian

I think '92s are pearson. See what the first 3 letters of the serial # are on the transom. If it says SLI, that is Sunfish Laser, who took over about then, and if it is SLI it is a good boat. If it is a Pearson, don't buy it!

Picked this photo of the stickers on the boat a sunfish.jpg

Check for cracking on the deck either side of the cockpit, The first few batches of Pearsons had issues with the inner cockpit flange under the deck pushing up into the deck, 1989-199?. Also look for obvious separation between upper cockpit tub flange and underside of deck.

Hull should weigh 129 pounds. If she's close and price is right, you'll be good to go.

Skipper on a Pearson. She had a good time.

YOYO Pearson.jpg

Also look for deck coming off of the hull and daggerboard trunk disconnecting from the deck. Mast steps also came loose with some frequency. They also used metal backing plates that seemed to react with the screws used to attach them, causing deformation of the area and potential failure of the hardware the backing plate was holding in place.

Pearson moved into Laser and Sunfish building as the sailboat industry started to decline. These boats were built as Pearson was struggling and eventually closed. I have had six Lasers and and one was a Pearson built boat. Bought the Pearson boat new. It leaked, from day one and was never competitive. Not sure, but the mast rake or CB trunk must have been off. Boat was within weight spec, weighed it on our drive on fork lift scale. I would avoid it for racing.

...yes I do. I sailed/raced a Pearson Sunfish for 8 or 9 years. Bought it new. It was light, stiff and fast, and never leaked but developed deck cracks on both sides of the cockpitthat I had to repair by beefing up the underside with a layer of fiberglass cloth and WEST epoxy resin. Then the area where the mast hole meets the deck cracked and I had to limp home and repair the crack. Then all of as sudden the boat got slow - the bottom probably softened up. I sold it to a day sailor and bought a used 2003 Vanguard - much better boat.

Pearson Sunfish had quality control problems, pure and simple. My guess was that they made the decks too thin to get a stiff, minimum weight hull
and the aforementioned cracks resulted. I think (?) the Pearson Sunfish all had a Hull I.D.Number on the transom that started with "PSB" (for "Pearson Boats") If you plan to race, I would avoid a Pearson boat. I you don't race, a Pearson boat might be fine as long as it doesn't leak.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Picked this photo of the stickers on the boatView attachment 45268

I’ve got an 80 something with the same exact Sunfish sticker on it. My boat is a dry boat the cockpit flange does not leak my mast step does not leak I filled it, covered it with saran wrap and it held water for weeks...checked the level.

it does have some cracks around the cockpit either side. And also it’s cracked a little bit in the port quarter, just a little aft of the cockpit. These all are in the gelcoat I’ve checked them. This is a good sailing boat I picked it up inexpensively and other than that I’ve had no problems. I sail it hard and I have been for the last month since I finished a minor restore.
So my boat hull is stiff sails fast and is dry.

i’m going to get the sea deck package from intensity or buy some Sea Dek to cover around the cockpit edges either side and aft. I need more padding anywayand this would stop any water from migrating through the laminate via the cracks which I don’t see happening.

so now seeing both of these stickers what was cut out of the sticker just below the “Sunfish Sailboat”?

Attachments

• 8FA76877-1D70-4778-899B-8A6B119C1F60.jpeg
    8FA76877-1D70-4778-899B-8A6B119C1F60.jpeg
    779.3 KB · Views: 63
  • AAF0FB28-1A2E-4CE5-8FA8-723D29C7E561.jpeg
    AAF0FB28-1A2E-4CE5-8FA8-723D29C7E561.jpeg
    865.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Woodwind - your "SLI" hull id number means it should be Sunfish-Laser. my guess is the stickers were leftover after SLI bought the company, and they cut out the text showing "Pearson".

Woodwind - your "SLI" hull id number means it should be Sunfish-Laser. my guess is the stickers were leftover after SLI bought the company, and they cut out the text showing "Pearson".
Thanks Tag!
It’s a really good boat in fact I’m getting ready to pull my Dolly around and go for sail today.
Lots of wind. :D
It took me about three months often on to get it back together but I love it!

Thanks to all on this forum it was much easier to accomplish this project

The Sticker Pedigree is interesting though since I have some of the cracks along the cockpit side. It’s not that bad

Reactions: tag
I am looking for a boat to race every week. I think I am going to pass on this one. It is at the top of the price range so I will be keeping my eyes open. The right boat will come along. Thanks all for the information.

I am looking for a boat to race every week. I think I am going to pass on this one. It is at the top of the price range so I will be keeping my eyes open. The right boat will come along. Thanks all for the information.
Fast Brianman,
What was the price range for this boat that you were looking at? I’m just curious

I’ve got an 80 something with the same exact Sunfish sticker on it.

And also it’s cracked a little bit in the port quarter, just a little aft of the cockpit. These all are in the gelcoat I’ve checked them. This is a good sailing boat I picked it up inexpensively and other than that I’ve had no problems. I sail it hard and I have been for the last month since I finished a minor restore.
So my boat hull is stiff sails fast and is dry.

i’m going to get the sea deck package from intensity or buy some Sea Dek to cover around the cockpit edges either side and aft. I need more padding anywayand this would stop any water from migrating through the laminate via the cracks which I don’t see happening.

so now seeing both of these stickers what was cut out of the sticker just below the “Sunfish Sailboat”?
Thought I'd add a photo of my starboard-quarter deck crack—just a little aft of the cockpit:

Fullscreen capture 6212021 80122 PM.bmp.jpg

"Light" cracks surround the cockpit decking, but I'm only going to fix the crack in the photo. (Which is directly over the supporting bulkhead).

Back