Considering Capri 14.2 for family of 5

U

Unregistered

I am considering purchasing a 1987 Capri 14.2 for my family of 5 which includes myself, my husband and our 3 boys ages 10, 8, and 7. From what I am reading here today, most people sail their Capri 14.2 either single or 2 adults. Should I take this to mean this boat maybe too small to hold the whole family? Thanks for you input.

~BHP

My opinion is that the ideal nuber in the C14.2 is 2 adults. This gives you enough weight to counter heeling. I have sailed in VERY light breezes with 3 adults. I would not do the same in heavier winds.

This is the first boat, other than a canoe, that I have owned. When I first saw the cockpit I envisioned the possibility of 4 or 5 adults sitting along those nice long bench seats....NOT.
The helmsmen needs room around and to each side of the tiller. Everyone at times needs to quickly move from one side of the boat to the other.

There just is not enough room to get everyone moved around quickly and safely.

Also, the C14.2 is somewhat (this maybe mildly stated) over canvassed. This meaning that the amout of sail area is very large compared to the size and weight of the boat. This causes the boat to heel over in winds maybe a little more than others.

So my opinion (mine only) is that if you plan to sail with all 5 of your family, you should look at a different boat. If you plan to sail in an area that always has mild winds you might get away with it.

You still would have a fairly crowded boat.

Art

I cannot fit 2 adults and three children in my boat. Three, but no more, can fit on one side. That means that two need to sit on the other side. My kids don't like sitting on the lee side when the boat heels. They get scared.

When we go out, we have to take turns.

I would only put 4 or 5 people in my boat if I had all the sails furled and tied and was just going to motor, then peopel can set on both sides, otherwise it would be extremely difficult. With that many children I would go for a keel boat.

In light air I've had four adults in my centerboard model. If the boat in question is a keel boat then there is no problem at all. I see our lake rentals which are all C14.2Ks out on the lake with three to four people all of the time.

When you're sailing with five hundred+ pounds of weight in the boat you don't need to jump from side to side that much since the boat hardly heels even in 6-8 knots of wind. So everyone just basically stays where they are in that case.

When My wife and I go sailing with my grown daughter we sit opposite each other near the tiller and my daughter is the only one who shifts to windward when we tack. It's great!

I second what Jack says. I've sailed my 14.2 with another adult couple and a small cooler in the cockpit, it was just fine. I think the wind was something like 8 -10 that day, we didn't switch sides at all. Now kids don't always stay where you put them, but I guess that just depends on the kids.

Well, I bought it.

It turns out it's a 1985 hull, very basic boat. I'm going to use it as a training boat for the family. Max 3 out at any one time. The rest wait on shore. Trailer is in excellent shape, boat looks good. I'm such a novice, I wonder if I made a huge mistake. Any takers to convince me otherwise is greatly appreciated.

As most advice that I've seen on this forum is that the Capri 14 likes to be sailed flat and that it is somewhat "overcanvassed," then I'd tend to think Jimbot's and Jack's comments are pretty valid -- the extra weight would contribute to a milder performance for the boat.

However, I'd also tend to agree that fewer kids in the boats will lead to more manageable sailing, at least until they get the hang of how they need to behave. My guess is that once they have enough experience (and I bet they learn faster than adults), you will be fighting them for control of the boat. By the time they are 12, 10, and 9, if they have had enough time on the water, it will probably be a fantastic boat for them to sail -- while you and your husband wait your turn.

How to find the hull date.

Okay, Now I'm really confused. Someone told me that the serial number of the boat had the hull date in it. Well, there's no 85 there. It ends in 89.

We took it out today. Jib hank was broke so we sailed without Jib. Four of us in the boat, 2 adults and 2 kids. Other kid was in sailing class. No problems. Boat was sluggish due to no jib, but that's okay for my first time. Overall, I think it went really well. I only had one problem with the tiller. There was a screw on the underside of the wood that I had to tighten in order to get it to slide into the rudder. But I couldn't loosen it to lock the tiller into place. There has got to be a better way. Suggestions and yes, I'm ordering the handbook.

~BHP

I too got mine because I envisioned a lot of kids sitting on those long seats.

What I've found is that it is definitely doable, but you have to make some concessions.

The benefit of the extra weight is more than offset by the complications of having so many body's in the way when you have to make a quick maneuver.

I've found I have to dramatically depower the boat. Since it's fairly windy where I sail, I'll put a reef in the main and furl the jib completely.

Even then, I might spill a lot of air out of the main to keep the boat flat.

And typically one of the kids will sit up on the bow with her legs hanging over. (I've even been known to tow one behind!)

So in sum, you can do it. Its crowded. But if you're goal is just lazily sailing about for a picnic or a little fun, then it works fine. If you're really sailing, it's just too small. I think you'd need something more in the range of 18 feet.

Back