Consequences

Old Geezer

A bride-to-be runs away before her wedding and causes a massive police manhunt costing, they say, over $100,000. And today the media is braying for her to be prosecuted or, at least, to repay the police costs.

Two teenagers go out to sea in a small boat without motor or sails on a day when there is a small craft advisory issued and cause a massive hunt by the Coast Guard and others. Who pays the cost of this hunt?

Taxpayers, of course! (in both cases you mentioned). I hope the "bride" has charges filed against her for filing false police report. As for the teens and their trip to sea... can they be sued for being stupid?

kgregg said:
Taxpayers, of course! (in both cases you mentioned). I hope the "bride" has charges filed against her for filing false police report. As for the teens and their trip to sea... can they be sued for being stupid?

The jails are full of people who got there through stupidity.

Years ago, when I was in the Coast Guard people were amazed that we did not charge for rescue. Now I believe "commercial salvage" is often called in at the boat owner's request. I hesitate to discourage people from calling for help early and making a situation worse. Anybody out there who never did something stupid that could have killed them?

Just My Ramblings

Bill

Back