Connector Sleeve Help

andyatos

So when I got my used 1988 Laser, I noticed that the connector sleeve and connector plug on the upper mast section looked like they had been exposed to nuclear fall out or something. You could practically chip off the plastic with your finger nails. Lots of time in the sun, maybe? This seemed to be the cause a lot of play in the upper and lower mast junction.

I ordered a replacement set from Intensity Sails and had a look at Steve Cockerill's footage on removing and reinstalling these two pieces in one of his, "swap the ends of the upper mast" videos. Seemed like a snap.

When I got the connector sleeve and plug from Intensity I did a quick test fit. But there was no way the connector sleeve would fit over the mast. Super, super tight. In Cockerill's video, once that connector sleeve's rivet was drilled out, it slid up and down the mast pretty easily. The plug didn't fit either.

Seeing as how the sleeve and plug from Intensity were dirt cheap, I figured it must have been a manufacturing defect or something. So I ordered another (more expensive) set from APS.

When those two arrived, the plug was snug but I could see that the fit would be just right. But the connector sleeve was very similar to the one from Intensity; a very tight fit... even when I removed imperfections on the plastic inner wall.

Just to see how it would go, I gently used a hammer and tapped around in a continuous circle to get it to the point where it is flush with the bottom of the upper mast. But I thought I'd stop and get some feedback on how to get it the rest of the way. See the attached photo.

One thing I thought of doing was...

1) Insert it as it is now in the top of the lower section of the mast
2) Make sure it is perfectly lined up
3) Buttress the bottom of the mast on something so it won't move
4) Start tapping the very top of the mast with a rubber mallet.

If the connector sleeve will still move, that should slowly move the sleeve up the mast to where I have the old position marked.

Anyway, got any suggestions? Has anyone experienced a similarly tight fit when replacing the connector sleeve? That thing is really tight.

Thanks,

- Andy

Attachments

• new-connector-sleeve.jpg
    new-connector-sleeve.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 60
I'd try and use the weight / kinetic energy of the top section in a gentle but firm pile driving motion with the lower in place. Might need a buddy to help, pad the lower on a couple of folds of cardboard to softwood pad, well taped on.
Smother the area with washing up liquid and heavily tape ( make a tape collar ) the collars furthest point of slide ......would be a right bitch to knock it beyond its riveting point and try and get it back.
Maybe...

It's tricky and there's no "right" answer that I know of. You might also try a light lubricant on the mast ... WD40 or something?? That might reduce the force on the sleeve or any damage to it or the mast, as you work it into position.

There's also another approach, to keep sanding out the inside of the sleeve til you can move it down the mast with less force. Using a dowel or pipe that is closer to the inside diameter helps keep it smooth and round. But tedious any way you do it... sand-fit-sand-fit and repeat.

The reason I bring this up is that forcing the sleeve down obviously stretches it around it's circumference, and applying the force to get it into position creates stresses around its edge, and possibly damage that will act as a "stress riser" - cracks start more readily where there are nicks, scratches, changes in surface strength, etc etc etc. I simply don't know how elastic and how resilient the plastic is that the sleeve is made out of. But the stretch and edge force/ possible damage do raise the question of whether the sleeve will still be strong enuf to serve a long while, when you get it into position.

I flipped an old top section once, but I've only done that sleeve once myself, and haven't heard a lot of others talk about new parts... fit, cracking, durability, etc. Like you say, the sleeve isn't very expensive. You just don't want that joint between the upper + lower mast to fail when you're out sailing, in a way that results in the upper mast breaking, cuz that's a lot more money. My old upper eventually failed even after I flipped it, and that tore up my sail a lot. I'm not a racer so I got out a sewing machine and was able to sew it up, but man it ain't pretty and I'm sure it wouldn't compete.

Good luck with it. Over to others ...

Great suggestions guys, thanks. In fact, I think I will go the route of spending a bit of time sanding down the inside of the connector sleeve. After pondering cskudder's rationale for a few minutes, I've already come up with a couple of ideas that should make this process pretty easy and fast.

- Andy

Maybe if you'd bought a class-legal sleeve it would have fitted . . . .
That's why I ordered the second one from APS. Thought they provided actual Laser parts. Are you saying they don't? If they do not, where would I get a class legal connector sleeve?

- Andy

That's why I ordered the second one from APS. Thought they provided actual Laser parts. Are you saying they don't? If they do not, where would I get a class legal connector sleeve?

- Andy
Apologies to you and to APS; saw you had bought one from Intensity, but not that you had bought a second from APS.

You been on here for three years and the only post you can summon is to moan at someone ?

I ordered another (more expensive) set from APS. When those two arrived, the plug was snug but I could see that the fit would be just right. But the connector sleeve was very similar to the one from Intensity; a very tight fit... even when I removed imperfections on the plastic inner wall.

I understand that people have views on class-legal vs 'other' and I'm good with everybody is entitled to their own view. Based on what Andy wrote, in this case it doesn't appear that class-legal vs other plays into it so much. FWIW / IMHO this kind of problem arises with just the accumulation of tolerances and the passage of years.

But either way - Andy glad the forums can help, hope you get it sorted out, and get that new boat of yours wet again soon.

Apologies to you and to APS; saw you had bought one from Intensity, but not that you had bought a second from APS.
Hey, no worries. It's all good.

So, check out how easy Steve Cockerill get's his connector sleeve off this mast. It took a hammer and large screw driver to get mine off. The connector was a mess by the time I got it off. Looked like it was an original Laser part and the mast has a Laser label on it. Go figure!

- Andy

The spars do shrink and swell due to temp changes. You didn't mention when you were trying to change it, but if you are lucky enough to be in a hot climate right now, try it first thing in the morning before the spar heats up

Was gonna suggest to try heating the collar in a pan of v hot water and immediately slipping it on over washing up liquid covered spar

Back