Complete bottom job on a 71 Sunfish

soapysails

soapysails
I was able to pick a boat at a great price, however, as is normally the case, LOL , I now find I must repair her bottom. The last owner, simply brushed over the cracks and dings using plain epoxy resin w/o cloth. What I hope to do is completely recover the bottom with a very light glass,(1.5 oz. ?) then apply Gel-Coat or a good quality paint. Any of you that have ideas or have done this job will find a welcomed ear.. BTW, the added weight will not be a problem..not racing this rig.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Soapysails

The last owner, simply brushed over the cracks and dings using plain epoxy resin w/o cloth.

What I hope to do is completely recover the bottom with a very light glass,(1.5 oz. ?) then apply Gel-Coat or a good quality paint. Any of you that have ideas or have done this job will find a welcomed ear...
It strikes me what's called for is, sanding down to the structural fiberglass then any of the following . . .

• Build up with a thin application of resin and fabric, then paint.
  • Prime with an epoxy fairing primer, then paint.
  • Re-gelcoat.

If you elect to gelcoat, either apply it directly to the structural fiberglass or, if you add fabric, use polyester resin for the additional lay-up. Gelcoat is also polyester resin and though it will adhere to epoxy it sticks to its own kind much more strongly.

Back