Competitive weight for a Radial?

ChrisRSA

Im going to the youth europeans in france later this year and i have had to downsize to a radial as im not old enough to sail in the fullrig class(you have to be older then 17) I was just wondering what a good competive radail weight is? i weigh 76kgs and am trying to get my weight down to 74kgs. Is this a good weight?

Anywhere between 140 and 155lbs (63.6 to 70.5 kgs) is good. You also might want to check out what the expected conditions are.

I'm bang on 70 at the moment - I'm competitive in the light stuff against heavy people and I'm also competitive in the heavy stuff against heavy people.

Just right I reckon ;)

Once you get to 75kg+ you are going to start getting disadvantaged in the light airs. I've been a variety of weights over the years and feel around 68kg is the best weight to be.

Oh come on guys. 2kg either way isn't going to make a difference.

Instead, focus on being strong and fit, with lots of leg and ab strength and endurance. When you focus on those things first, you'll end up at the right weight for you to compete at optimally.

One thing people often forget is that you need to weigh yourself in the morning, preferably wearing as little as possible, before and after using the bathroom is always good. You might weight 170 before, and 167 after. Also, it should be noted that if you weigh 170 in your undies before going out, after putting all your gear on, you could possibly weigh upwards of 175-8 after, and maybe add another 10 pounds after your soaking wet.

hi,
im 14 and i weight around 62 kg's (not including my sailing clothes). i just moved up from a 4.7 amd found it a bit of a stuggle at first but once you hav the correct way of hiking it make is alot easier. it isnt just what you weigh its how you hike. at 62kg's im a pretty compeditive especially in medium wind days.

I'm 160 pounds and i do fine in a full rig. It gets a little squirrelly in heavy winds but i think its fun. Even when i capsize i never have trouble writing it.

62kg here as well.I feel I have to depower quite early, but that is probably because I'm not very fit!!

I sail in a handicap fleet and a radial makes me competetive with the ok's and Streakers. I am not about to get a 4.7 and hang around at the back of the fleet.
Anyway I can handle the big winds, and infact do better the more wind there is!

Back