Compatability of Laser 2 Fun rigging

NelisD

I have a near complete set of rigging (main sail, jib, center board, rudder, tiller + extension) for a Laser 2 Fun, sadly no longer of use as the dinghy itself was stolen some years ago. I'm looking to sell them, but before I do, I'm anticpating I'll get some questions from buyers as to whether any of the parts will be compatible with a Laser 2 (or for that matter, Laser 1/3000) - does anyone know here if any/all of these parts will fit other models?

Any help much appreciated - I promise to post a thread in the appropriate section with actual 'for sale' details later.

The tiller should fit a Laser rudder head, although it's probably a little too long, and the extension a bit short. (How long are they?)
Everything else should fit any Laser 2 or 3000, with the possible exception of different rudder fittings. The foils are especially valuable as new ones haven't been made for many years.

No mast or boom?

_

No mast or boom, they went with the hull.

I believe the foils are of lower quality than those on a Laser 2, but I don't know how significant that is

The rudder has it's own head - do you know if that will fit the back of a Laser 2 hull? The tiller itself is just a square piece of wood, and the extension may well be 3rd party, so of all the parts I don't think there's much value there. I don't have them to hand to measure them.
Rudder_3.png

For reference, the tiles in this picture are 44cm square, so the tiller is approx 110cm, the extension approx 70cm.

Last edited:
The rudder blade is exactly the same as in the Laser 2, made by Crompton in Banbury. You can even see the rust from the internal steel rod reinforcing "bleeding" through, in a regrettably typical way.
The rudder head is also a Laser 2 part, but a very old one with two pintles. Newer (1990s and 2000s) hulls have an upper gudgeon and a lower pintle on the transom. What the Laser 3000s have is another question; I found some information here.
The tiller is on the long side and the extension very short as I expected, and apparently original both. The tiller will fit a Laser rudder head, but I doubt anyone would want it as they've evolved quite a bit since the 1980s.

_

Last edited:

Back