What's new

Companionway questions


New Member
So I bought a 79 boat and the way it came was a fiberglass slider forward, with a wooden piece aft. If I slide them as forward as I can, I can barely slide into the cabin. The wooden piece just sits on the edges so I have taken it out when sailing and placed it inside the cabin.

A. Is this the right way to operate this system?

B. I see that the newer boats have two “plastic” pieces where the aft piece seems to slide under the other. I asked Waterline about these pieces and they said they would not fit my boat because the cabin size was changed. Anyone have any suggestions of improvements?

Picture enclosed




Answer to A: It appears the previous owner (or someone before you) broke the original hatch piece that is supposed to slide under the big piece, and they just cut and affixed a piece of wood. The piece of wood is not a normal hatch piece.

Response to B: I hope someone on this forum responds to how, where to buy and install a new hatch system you are describing. I would like to do it myself and cannot seem to find the right video, instructions or do-it-yourself thread. Not too sure if it can be done due to the rails for the original hatch.


New Member
By now you realize that you're just missing the aft section of the original sliding hatch. See the photo attached. It's possible to convert to the newer style, called a 'sea hood', but I personally don't think it's worth the trouble. You can do a few things to improve the operation and strengthen the original hatches and they are absolutely functional. Installing the 'sea hood' is a big deal. Somebody needs to be good at modifying/ building fiberglass structures. IMG_20180906_154538807.jpgOne of the participants here 'parting-out' an early boat should be able to supply you with the part.