Come race in Montana!

Come on up to the District 22 regatta on spectacular Flathead Lake in nortwest Montana, very near Glacier National Park. This is fun racing in a stunning setting, hosted by the North Flathead Yacht Club in Somers, MT.

Good winds early so they start us off first thing both days. Last year it was whitecaps for breakfast! Later thermals from the south due to the size of the lake and the surrounding geology. There have been some nice breezy days this summer, the water is turquoise clear, and the air is beautiful and dry. 80-90 highs, 50-65 lows.

Nearby Bigfork, MT is a thriving little resort town, with good food, and lodging around Bigfork Bay. Kalispell, MT is about 15 miles away and features an international airport.

Low $20 registration fee, free camping on the lawn, and dinner and beer Saturday night is included. I'll take anyone interested on a nice day hike up a nearby peak with views in every direction. I took some of these last weekend from the top of Mt Aeneus in Jewell Basin.

Thanks-
Mike Gilbert

Attachments

• flathead thunderstorms.jpg
    flathead thunderstorms.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 63
  • F lake 4.jpg
    F lake 4.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 56
  • goats 3.jpg
    goats 3.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 47
  • horizons-lake.jpg
    horizons-lake.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 51
  • picnic lakes.jpg
    picnic lakes.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 48
  • burn.jpg
    burn.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 5 night.JPG
    5 night.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4941.jpg
    IMG_4941.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Gilbert trim.jpg
    Gilbert trim.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 57
Wow... My wife and I were engaged in Glacier NP, been back 3x since... Was hoping that when I read this thread it would be on Flathead lake... If I'd seen this 10 years ago I'd be there in a heartbeat. There would likely be some great opportunities within the park to do some sailing as well.

Nice! GNP is one of my favorite places in the world - it's hard to describe to someone who hasn't seen it.

A few of us did have a wild afternoon of sailing last August on Lake McDonald in the Park. Wild, windy, waves, and cold water! I may try Two Medicine Lake next.

I realize it's late notice, but this would make a dandy vacation trip, with a fun regatta in the middle.

Nice! GNP is one of my favorite places in the world - it's hard to describe to someone who hasn't seen it.

A few of us did have a wild afternoon of sailing last August on Lake McDonald in the Park. Wild, windy, waves, and cold water! I may try Two Medicine Lake next.

I realize it's late notice, but this would make a dandy vacation trip, with a fun regatta in the middle.

Oh man that water is cold cold cold... The term cold doesnt really even seem to describe it. We camped a couple times off Upper Two Medicine, and have taken the boat ride down the lake to cut a couple miles off the end of our long backcountry trek.

Would be amazing if you could get a laser up to some of the higher mountain lakes like Kintla... I agree it's tough to describe Glacier. I guess what I like most about it is the fact that its out of the way enough that the Yellowstone and Teton set find it too far to drive. Even within the park there are remote enough places that the Only people you will see there are the people that WANT to be there: Bowman Lake comes to mind.

Anyway, it sure would be a great vacation, but I've got a toddler and a newborn these days... not going to happen. A pleasure to reminisce tho.

Maybe in a couple of years!

Just to clarify for everyone...Flathead Lake is outside the Park, and about 2500 feet elevation. It is 30 miles long, 10+ miles wide, 400 feet deep, and the surface temp is 65-70 degrees right now. It makes its own thermals as the water and land heat and cool. Parts of it are in the 1st and 2nd photos above.

Warm sunny days, no humidity, and the cleanest big lake in the world.

BUMP!

Oh, it's pretty up there! Took my son up yesterday and it started at about 15 knots and kept increasing through 20, 25, 30...not so good for his 2nd lesson!

It's supposed to warm up and calm down the next few days.

bump..bump....bump..

I've had interest so far from NorCal, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, and our friends to the north in Alberta. I'd be happy with one from each!

Attachments

• registration08.pdf
    44 KB · Views: 59
Sailed my old boat on Waterton Lakes, North side of Glacier Park, in Alberta last week.. Wind a bit puffy that day. Too bad nobody took a picture when i was out sailing..

Attachments

• Hiawatha Trail Vacation 0808 055 small.jpg
    Hiawatha Trail Vacation 0808 055 small.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 58
Sweet! Looks a bit like McDonald, but maybe more wild. Very nice.

Are you coming? We need you! Strap the boat on the 911 and blast up here!

Entries forms are arriving, boats are starting to back up!...
M

Attachments

• worlds park.jpg
    worlds park.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 52
Strap it onto the Prius and hit the road! Driving up to Flathead is half the fun - some great vistas of the Mission range etc.

Strap it onto the Prius and hit the road! Driving up to Flathead is half the fun - some great vistas of the Mission range etc.

people are into flying up there right?
have somone send the ole cessna down to sfo to schlep me up there, and if you could lend me a boat, im there!!!! :D the views would be sweet from an airplane i bet

people are into flying up there right?
have somone send the ole cessna down to sfo to schlep me up there, and if you could lend me a boat, im there!!!! :D the views would be sweet from an airplane i bet
We'll send a float plane down and pick you up on the bay...drop you right at the docks.

Sounds great! I count about 20 or so boats, maybe a couple more if you have 6. No separate Radial start, but it sounds like there may be two or three depending on wind.
Questions on the road...406-531-2796.
MG

Follow up

Follow up -
We had a good event with 17 boats from 4 states and one province (Thanks Alberta!). Good racing, beautiful weather, nice people. We just missed a cold front by a few days but we had wind. Thanks to everyone who made the trip. Bigger next year!

Photos:
Ian the Gentleman Pirate!
Jim Christopher and Eric Tulk
Launching at dawn

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 61
  • unknown-2.jpg
    unknown-2.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 55
  • unknown-1.jpg