Collegiate sailing programs switch to L2?

I Just recently started a high school sailing program, and was thinking- Why do we have to use collegiate 420's? My argument is to switch to the laser 2- It's less expensive, has more sail area, and is 190 pounds lighter!!! that would make for a much more fun experience with college sailing in my opinion. Anyone have any thoughts?

I asked vanguard for a price for a brand-new collegiate 420 vs. L2 but i haven't heard back. I'll post it when it comes.

price difference between the boats should be around $100.

forgot to mention, there are some programs up here that use IIs instead of 420s, so it has been done.

420s are fun boats and are sailed a lot differently than Lasers or Laser 2s. Even if you are built to sail a laser, you can still find a little crew and really learn a lot sailing these boats.

I also think it comes down to:
"if everyone is sailing bath tubs, you should be sailing bath tubs." 420s are the boat of choice for most high school and college programs.

Have you ever sailed one?

If you are getting one, ask for the version withOUT the bailer built in.

I don't think there is a question about which boat is more fun, ask anyone who has sailed both and they will tell you its a laser 2 hands down. Its a faster boat in any kind of breeze and alot less things to hit/get caught on in the cockpit. The problem is that the 420 is a much more durable boat so alot of yacht clubs are switching to them, which is a shame.

I can understand summer clubs switching to 420's, but not colleges. The competitive sailors at college level shouldn't have to worry that much about the durability of a boat, I would think they know how to land a boat on a dock. Also, the laser sails in my experience are much easier to control the shape in, and have stricter one-design laws. Plus, they're easier to trailer to events. You can't cartop a 420!

By the way tkjazzer, I'm a very competitive 420 sailor, almost more so than in a laser. I've sailed both club and collegiate 420, and I love the autobailer. (sorry if that sounds negative)

computeroman2 said:
I can understand summer clubs switching to 420's, but not colleges. The competitive sailors at college level shouldn't have to worry that much about the durability of a boat, I would think they know how to land a boat on a dock. Also, the laser sails in my experience are much easier to control the shape in, and have stricter one-design laws. Plus, they're easier to trailer to events. You can't cartop a 420!
By the way tkjazzer, I'm a very competitive 420 sailor, almost more so than in a laser. I've sailed both club and collegiate 420, and I love the autobailer. (sorry if that sounds negative)

Ian, colleges are not switching to c420s they have been using them (and CFJs) for 25 plus years. The durability factor is huge as colleges own and maintain their boats not just for the race teams but also for recreational use. Virtually all colleges have learn to sail and general recreational programs on top of their race programs. It is one way to justify the expense of a team. Also the boats take quite a bit of abuse during "rotation" between A and B fleets. Also the transportation of boats is not an issue as you travel to the venue and use that host teams boats, you don't bring your own (by the way you can cartop a 420 just need a few extra bodies to heft it up there). Most college racing is short course racing that last about 20 minutes or less so a "high performance" boat really isn't needed just an equal set of "bath tubs". Finally to Matt I think the ratio is more like 50% CFJs, 45% C420s and 5% Larks....Scott

Back