cold weather sailing gear

That's not cold-weather sailing; this is cold-weather sailing! ;)

[Sorry, I couldn't resist...]
BTW, the URL in the post has a period between "sail" and "small" instead of a dash.

Okay!! That is COLD weather sailing!! Thanks for catching the error on my Blog link. Click here for the article www.sail-small.com

I love ice fishing and can appreciate having fun on the ice and those ice boats look like a riot!

Very helpful. The best sailing here in Ohio is fall + spring which means cold. Couple things I've found very useful:

good sou'wester hat - keeping the spray off the face, and especially off the neck, to prevent it running down into wetsuit etc

tall neoprene sox - tall and snug enuf to stay dry for hours - pull em on underneath wetsuit.

I've used a wetsuit. I'd like to try a drysuit but I can't find one to borrow and I'm not inclined to invest $500 until/unless I'm sure. In the wetsuit, I've done well with a farmerjohn style first layer, and a shorty over that. Again layering is good. With the tall sox and shorty, I've got 2 layers over most of the legs, except the knees are only 1 layer- this greatly improves mobility.

a really good smock like this one on top of the wetsuit is a terrific addition- makes a WORLD of difference in warmth, even more so when the water's cold. It eliminates the problem of evaporative cooling on the surface of the neoprene, it eliminates any infiltration of water thru seams+zippers in the wetsuit layers, and it adds a layer of air (insulation) between the neoprene and the rest of the world.

Anybody tried dryPANTS, and a smock on the top? Instead of a drysuit?

I just created an article on the best cold sailing weather gear for Laser sailing that I hope you'll find useful. You can see the entire article here:
www.sail-small.com
Deeman: Thanks for the cold weather gear article... good advice and great links. * I've got a new Kokatat drysuit that I haven't had out on the water yet. I've been trying to break it in a bit on land. I'm hoping it softens up soon. It's stiff as a board right now. Time will tell.
And hey, what's the rabbits foot looking thing hanging off of your tiller extension... just curious? I looked high and low for one over at APS, but didn't have any luck. Does it actually help your balance downwind somehow...that's what Iv'e heard. (wack-a-wack-a) Anyway, the video is great, Thanks again.

It's not me in the video.....sorry! I wish I was still able to sail. I've retired my stuff for the year since ice is forming on the lakes.

Also - sorry for the bad link - here is the right link:

www.sail-small.com

Back