Cockpit drain grommet??

Ticktack

Hello everyone,
I’m getting our 3 Sunfish ready the season & noticed all of them were missing the rubber grommet in the bailer. How do they come unlodged & is it necessary to “glue” them in with sealant?
Thanks So much!

Are the bailers the "standard" Sunfish plastic bailers, or the metal De Persia bailers?

I've been using "Shoe-Goo" for gluing dissimilar objects together: Plus, the objects can be readily cleaned of the dried product when replacement is called for. It's strong, inexpensive and waterproof--of course.

Are the bailers the "standard" Sunfish plastic bailers, or the metal De Persia bailers?

I've been using "Shoe-Goo" for gluing dissimilar objects together: Plus, the objects can be readily cleaned of the dried product when replacement is called for. It's strong, inexpensive and waterproof--of course.
L&VW, Thanks for the reply. I should have specified which bailers I have; all 3 are the newer, plastic type. Do you recommend using shoe-goo to glue in the grommet?
For the life of me, I can’t figure out why the grommets are even coming out, I can’t imagine the velocity of the evacuating water would be That strong!
Thanks again!
Tom

L&VW, Thanks for the reply. I should have specified which bailers I have; all 3 are the newer, plastic type. Do you recommend using shoe-goo to glue in the grommet?
For the life of me, I can’t figure out why the grommets are even coming out, I can’t imagine the velocity of the evacuating water would be That strong!
Thanks again!
Tom
Just run a bead of silicone around the edge of the bailer, stick it to the hull, and tighten the part in the cockpit. You won’t need the oring at all. It’s what all the racers do.

What "grommet" are you referring to? Pictures? No O rings should be coming out, and no glue should be used on the bailer, but sealant is okay as Beldar mentioned.

What "grommet" are you referring to? Pictures? No O rings should be coming out, and no glue should be used on the bailer, but sealant is okay as Beldar mentioned.
It’s the 5 grommets that come
With the 5 balls when you buy them from Sunfish direct. When you unscrew the top, male thread part of the bailer, you drop the ball in, then the grommet fits into the lip before bailer is reassembled.
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.4 KB · Views: 39
It’s the 5 grommets that come
With the 5 balls when you buy them from Sunfish direct. When you unscrew the top, male thread part of the bailer, you drop the ball in, then the grommet fits into the lip before bailer is reassembled.
Thanks!
1) I've received a similar kit. My recollection (which could be faulty after the decade since) is that there's a groove around the circumference of the grommet. Upon assembly, the groove has to be mated-up with the housing. The "dry" fit should be enough to hold it until the rubber deteriorates with time. (Or, using terminology from my Morris British car manuals: the rubber "perishes"). ;)

2) When I've installed a new plastic housing (@ $50), I've assembled them using the provided rubber seal--reasoning that the factory put them in as a shock absorber. (As the plastic housing is subject to cracking--a $50 repair!) :eek:

As Beldar directed years ago, don't step into the cockpit until the Sunfish is in the water.

What L&VW said, and those O rings should not fall out.
Thanks for everyone’s replies & info.
maybe all of mine just broke down over time & fell out, my boats are 1991,2001 & a 2006. It’s going to be interesting to see how long the new replacements last!
Sail Fast!!

To get more Shoo-Goo, I've just returned from my town's hardware store. The owner told me he's ordered Shoo-Goo, but it's become unavailable!

I'll keep looking in our bigger local stores. (Similar glues to Shoo-Goo are sold under variations of the brand name).

Back