coaming ?

acs026

So I took off the coaming on the boat I am working on. And half of the hardware was missing and couple more pulled out when i was taking it off. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the ones that are still in the boat so I can just rivet it back on when I am ready?

Thanks

When I removed mine, ( a 64 SF), I had to drill out the old brass inserts, I used a 1/4" drill bit, because that was the size of hole used when they were put in. all of the insert bases just fell inside the hull. So now I had 13- 1/4" holes, and now you need to find an all aluminum rivet, that will use a 1/4' hole, a 3/16" rivet will not work. I don't know if a back up rivet washer will make up the difference, but I was told by a rivet mfg, it won't.
I looked into buying large rivets that use 1/4' holes, but another manfacturer sells them in bulk, and I mean bulk. I 'm not sure of the head sizes of the larger ones, they start getting rather large, as you increase the diameter size.
Now others will tell you to just glass over and re-drill new holes to the right size, ..ok,.. if you don't mind mixing ,speading and drying time, unless you are already glassing the deck for other problems.
So, I just installed rivet nuts. Just redrill the holes to the new size, insert the rivet nuts with the tool, and now you can reattach the coaming with new 10/32 screws, it takes 5 mins, and you are ready to attach the coaming with screws and caulking.

Thanks I appreciate it. I figured drilling them out was the best way I just wanted a confirmation. I am already doing some glass work on the top anyways. So I will probably just do that.

Thanks a lot

One of my Sunfishes has 3/16 rivets instead of screws. I believe the standard size for coaming rivets is 3/16 rivets.

...mine is a "64" and from reading here and there, the older boats came with the screws and brass inserts. Sunfish changed over to rivets later on, so they say. And now, out of ease, people are just using aluminum rivets, to re attach the coaming.

I took a coaming off one of my Sunfishes. It was secured with screws and plastic inserts. If you want to use screws, a trip to Home Depot would set you up with some of these inserts.

67Stang,
This rivet nut thing sounds pretty good. What are rivet nuts?

>So, I just installed rivet nuts. Just redrill the holes to the new size, insert the >rivet nuts with the tool, and now you can reattach the coaming with new 10/32 >screws, it takes 5 mins, and you are ready to attach the coaming with screws >and caulking.

..The ones that I used are aluminum. I paid .66 cents each for them. I t is super easy to do it. I was able to do "dry runs" before doing the final attatcnment. Look at the pic with the blue tape on the deck. I was able to mask off the area,so that when I caulked it, I could keep the mess controlled. The end results looked good. Today I was finally able to take the SF out of the basement and snap some pics of it. The caulking came out pretty good.

View attachment aluminum nutserts.bmp

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

..The ones that I used are aluminum. I paid .66 cents each for them. I t is super easy to do it. I was able to do "dry runs" before doing the final attatcnment. Look at the pic with the blue tape on the deck. I was able to mask off the area,so that when I caulked it, I could keep the mess controlled. The end results looked good. Today I was finally able to take the SF out of the basement and snap some pics of it. The caulking came out pretty good.

Pure Perfection. Very impressive looking boat. The caulking could not be better. I love the deck--it glows!

I've used these screw type rivets before, but never thought of your application. I think your method is the best I've seen so far. Thanks for sharing it with us.

That looks awesome....thanks I think I will give that a try. 67Stang....paint job looks really good on top. Nice looking boat.

I think the issue has always boiled down to factory fasteners pulled out with time causing leaks. The solutions developed over the last 40 years weren't to just screw or rivet the coaming back in place - that's a no-brainer whatever you use. Some have even just filled the holes and epoxied or 5200 glued the coaming in place. The goal has been to widen the backing with fender washers or an equivalent. For sailors with kids or who occasionally take passengers aboard the issue comes up more often - the coaming gets leaned on. That's the rub. Single sailors who aren't aggressive with their boat probably never need more than a rivet (or PEM nut) and a little sealer.

Pure Perfection. Very impressive looking boat. The caulking could not be better. I love the deck--it glows!

I've used these screw type rivets before, but never thought of your application. I think your method is the best I've seen so far. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Hey Night sailor,
Here are some more pix, as requested. I took some with one my other boats to compare them. I didn't do anything to the cockpit, centerboard,rudder. I am working on a proto type tiller extention that I will try out. if it works I will try to make a permanent one out of hard wood. Right now it is made of a pine rake handle.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg