coaches and things

laser98706

hello all,

I haven't been improving on my laser lately, and so i'm beginning to wonder if it's time to start looking for a coach or training partner. Is this something worthwhile, and if so, can anyone recommend someone in the Baltimore/Annapolis area? I am willing to start training anytime, and I figure if i start working with a coach or training partner now, we can work out together or something. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Also, how do you all store your boats outside in the winter? upside down or right side up?

please help.

On that note, I'm also wondering about that. I'm at the point where my local club instructor isn't cutting it. I'm looking to learn adcanced wind-predicting and tactics, which i can't get from a local instructor or even in a group setting. I'm only in high school though, and am wondering how to further my experience. Anyone in Maine or New England that could help?

The best thing is to attend as many clinics as you possibly can and then race as much as possible. Clinics that I know about are for juniors the CISA Clinic in the spring www.cisasailing.org, the SailNewport clinic in early June www.sailnewport.org, for all comers SailFit http://www.sailfit.com/calendar.html and I am sure there are others. You get 3-4 days of intensive training and coaching. You will get more out of those 3-4 days then 3-4 weeks in a Junior Program.

laser98706 said:
hello all,

I haven't been improving on my laser lately, and so i'm beginning to wonder if it's time to start looking for a coach or training partner. Is this something worthwhile, and if so, can anyone recommend someone in the Baltimore/Annapolis area? I am willing to start training anytime, and I figure if i start working with a coach or training partner now, we can work out together or something. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

About two months ago, Jason Currie of the SSA (Annapolis MD) 'advertized' that he was available for coaching. And regarding partnering, the SSA, the Rock Hall YC (on the Eastern shore MD) and the PRSA (Alexandria, VA) Laser fleets all frostbite. Perhaps you can join one of them some of the time and find somebody with similar interests.

I would recommend Rick White's sailing seminar usually during spring break in April down in Florida. If you find someone in the northern New England area, let me know perhaps we can split the costs. I am a Master so probably old enough to be your father and if the age difference doesn't bother you, we might be able to benefit.

pirouette said:
I would recommend Rick White's sailing seminar usually during spring break in April down in Florida. If you find someone in the northern New England area, let me know perhaps we can split the costs. I am a Master so probably old enough to be your father and if the age difference doesn't bother you, we might be able to benefit.

I'm in New England, Maine, and i wouldn't mind doing a clinic like that. Only problem is i'm a junior, so i can't drive myself, and i dont' know if my parents would fancy me driving to florida for a week with some guy i just met...

see The Laser Sailor for ads, also in Laser Sailor under fitness which is written by Megan Aiken, Kurt Talbee's wife, there's an email address I think or perahps www.sailfit.com for his schedule (don't have Laser Sailor right in front of me) and Rick White's seminar schedule is http://www.catsailor.com/sailingseminars/ss_schedule.html

There are usually folks from Philadelphia and Annapolis who go back each year so Rick might be able to get you connected with them

Thanks for the help, guys. I am still unsuccessful in finding a coach...But i'm still plugging away.

By the way, what are most of your who have coaches paying per session? I don't know what the going rate is.

I'm also still looking for a training partner, so if anyone is out there, let me know.

Private coaching will cost you between $200 and $500 per day so if you can put together 1 or 2 others you can split the costs. You should check bulletin boards at the local clubs and college coaches (St. Marys?) in your area.

Back