Clothing for colder weather

vtsailer

I took my boat out for the final time this year. I live in northern New England.

At home, the wind was 5-7 knots. Temps were in the low 50's. I was worried that the wind would be too light at my favorite spot, so I went to a lake that sits up at about 1,800 feet on a ridge. It was my first time sailing there. I thought that the wind would be stronger there. I just got my boat late this summer, so I haven't sailed enough locally to know what to expect for wind at different lakes.

Turns out that I made a bad decision. The wind was mostly steady at about 15 knots, with gusts of about 20 or slightly more. I sailed for about 1.5 hours, and it was nerve-wracking the entire time. I was petrified of going into the drink. To my credit, there were no close calls whatsoever. But I was on pins and needles the whole time.

I've decided that off-season sailing, for me, is best done in 5-10 knot winds. While this would be somewhat boring in the summer, in colder weather I just want to casually move along and enjoy the opportunity to be outside.

My biggest question is what to get for cold(er)-weather clothing. I am only going to sail from May through mid-October. Anything below 50 degrees, and I'm not interested. In the spring, though, the water is going to be very cold. The lake I sailed on today does not ice out until April or May (depending on the winter). Usually it ices out around the last week of April or the first week of May.

At a minimum, I want to keep my feet warm and to be able to go into the water up to at least my thighs when launching the boat. I'm thinking that a full length wetsuit with a spray jacket would work well. I'd also like to know that if I did go into the water, I could at least be okay for long enough to get back into the boat. I was truly petrified today (albeit in some strong winds that I would probably avoid in the future). At a minimum, I want to protect myself from a wet deck and footwell.

I don't feel like dropping $600 or more for a drysuit to go out a few times a year in a boat that is not worth much more. I'm okay spending about $250, though - hopefully in a couple stages. I could certainly get everything right away, but even $250 seems like a lot for trying to get a few extra weeks out of the season.

I would have had a really enjoyable day if I was in a bigger boat. Make me really want that Potter 19! But for now I'm sticking to the Sunfish.

Good on you for thinking about dressing for immersion. As I mentioned in the other thread about launching in cold weather, my experience as a year-round paddler proves out the wisdom of being prepared for the unplanned swim - according to the weather and the water temps. My opinion on the matter is that the cost of wetsuit or drysuit (whichever fits your needs) is money well spent if it lengthens your water-sport season.

My personal preference is a dry suit. They can be expensive - but I don't think you need to buy the most expensive drysuit for sailing. Paddlers will likely prefer a $1000 Gore-tex drysuit because the required physical activity demands good breathability of the drysuit fabric. The current consensus is that nothing less than Gore-tex will keep up with the demands of intense physical activity (and the steam and sweat it generates). OTOH - for sailing, you might do just fine with one of the lower-priced drysuits and a cheap fleece underlayer.

Something like a Kokatat Tropos drysuit will run $600 or less, new. Considered marginal in breathability for paddling, I am confident it would work well enough for sailing. If that price is too steep, you might consider looking for a used suit. I bought mine used on Ebay - in almost new condition - for about half the price of new. Kayak Academy sells used dry suits that have been inspected for flaws, at a very reasonable price. They list more than one right now at about $275.

http://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/store/used.html#drysuits

When shopping for a drysuit, look for one with either breathable socks or latex booties. Skip past the ones with ankle gaskets. I have used both - and the gaskets, while cheaper, are not as easy to get in and out of. My current drysuit has latex booties, latex wrist gaskets and a neoprene neck closure. A latex neck gasket is drier but less comfortable for some people. Make you choice based on the length of time you might possibly be in the water.

You can have just one drysuit and adjust for temps by selecting various weights or combination of synthetic layers underneath. Those I know who use wetsuits need more than one to adjust through the seasons. Your choice will depend on just how far into winter you want to go.

Perhaps someone with more experience with wetsuits will fill in that info...

I'm really only talking about sailing in temps of 50 degrees (F) or above. I was thinking a 4/3 wetsuit and a spray jacket would be sufficient. My biggest concern is that in the spring the water may still be 40-50 degrees. I have no plans to swim, but I need enough protection to get back into the boat and make it back to shore.

To be honest, I'm trying to keep the cost to a reasonable level, since I'm now seriously considering a 20-25 foot boat along with my Phantom.

Those spring temps should concern you. I have done some experimenting - enough to know that 40-50° water can render my feet and ankles uncontrollable in a very short time (a few minutes). I never bothered to see how the rest of my body would do. But these guys did...

http://www.smartboater.ca/education/cold_water/multimedia/1-10-1_extended_video/1-10-1_extended_play.html

These guys are more about survival, but I also think comfort and enjoyment are valid reasons to dress appropriately. If you are uncomfortable and/or not enjoying the activity, you will not do it much. If you want to get the most out of the investment in your boat, proper cold water gear is a must, IMO.

My personal preference is a drysuit. But only you can determine whether you need a drysuit or a wetsuit. Keeping the above video in mind, you have to ask yourself how long could you be in the water. And you may want to try on both for comfort and ease of movement outside of the water.

My main point though - besides the fact that you should dress for immersion - is that you really don't have to spend over $300 (unless you plan to be very far from shore), and that if you really want to get the most use out of your boat, $300 is a bargain.

I suspect that your wetsuit/splash-top combination could take you pretty far if you don't venture far from shore, but I hesitate to recommend it when a full drysuit is so reasonable. OTOH - I have been up to my neck in 40° water in my drysuit in November (~freezing air temps) and quite comfortably continued about my business with no need to seek warmth and dry clothing.

I sail on lakes that are not too large. I don't think that I would ever be more than ten minutes from the dock.

I'm leaning toward a dry suit now. How are dry suits when the weather isn't in the 50's, but is in the 60's? I assume that they are fine, since it's the layering underneath that matters.

In the low 60's isn't too bad if you aren't paddling hard. ;) Breath-ability is a must though. When I am wearing mine in warmer weather, I have just a thin synthetic layer underneath for wicking - and I work up from there as the temps drop. No cotton...none. Anything above low 60's and you're probably gonna get uncomfortable unless you have a steady wind. Oh that's right....were sailing here.:) I usually start donning the dry suit from the low 50's on down when paddling, but early spring with it's freezing cold water can find me wearing it in higher air temps. This will be my first year of non-summer sailing, so I am making assumptions where that is concerned.

My biggest issue is the water temperature, rather than the air temperature. In the spring, I can see sailing on a 60 degree day with water temperatures in the upper 40s. This brings me back to a wetsuit with the ability to layer on top with a spray jacket, etc.

The desired protection is more for the water, rather than the air. Again, I don't wish to go out in air temperatures below the low 50s. With a wetsuit, I can sail on the occasional 70 degree day in April, even if the water is still 50 degrees. A drysuit would be too hot on such a day.

When I went this week, I was comfortable while sailing. I was just petrified of how bad off I would be if I went into the drink. Basically, I need protection for: a) launching the boat (water up to thighs); b) spray while sailing; c) water on the deck and in the footwell; and d) falling into cold water. The ambient air temperature wasn't the problem at all. I can protect against that. I don't, however, currently have clothing that will protect me from water. A wetsuit with a spray jacket and neoprene boots seems like it would be much more versatile. On warm days, I can take off the spray jacket. On colder days, if I fall in, the wetsuit will keep me warm enough for the time it takes to get back into the boat and return to shore.

Why does every decision in sailing involve a compromise? :) It started when I went shopping for a boat! Maybe that's why it's such an expensive hobby.

Does sound like you have a handle on it. If you go with a splash top, make sure you get one with a good system to seal the bottom around your wetsuit so it won't ride up when you fall in.

Just remember vtsailer, you only got one life...

Being close to the dock and in (ice) cold water won't do you much good if nobody is watching out for you. And who is, in early spring? Moreover, you must assume that you will get into the water, because stuff breaks from time to time.

Even though a dry suit is expensive, you can get many years out of it, if you are careful. I hope to get into mine for the fifth year, once my fleet starts its frostbiting.

PS: These suits do go on sale from time to time, although right now is probably not that time.

Back