clew strap & shackle

harpo

I've recently switched from the Harken clew sleeve and hook arrangement to using a clew strap and a shackle (with a tiny block) on the clew.

I made the switch for two reasons:

• A few weeks ago my clew hook undid itself after a capsize in big breeze and short chop. I'll probably always be clueless, but the shackle should prevent clewlessness. :)
  • The steel strap just didn't slide on the boom the way I wanted, no matter how much I lubed it.
So far I like the new setup a lot. But I miss the ease of rigging the old one. Has anyone come up with a good scheme for attaching the shackle directly to the clew strap, and leaving both on the boom permanently?

I have tried that and did not like it. When the outhaul is pulling on the strap it places a lot of tension on the strap, causing a lot of friction with the boom and making adjustments somewhat difficult. Also, unless your inhaul is very strong, there will also be a "dead zone" between when the inhaul starts working and the outhaul stops working. Here the strap may shift or raise the clew off the boom and cause an inconsistency in your setting. I went back to the hook very quickly. If you are looking for security while still being able to rig quickly, maybe a small strap to lock the hook to the clew would be a better idea?

I used to tie the clew with some thin line, there are a few types that slide pretty well, I used to run it around the boom and through the clew x2 and then tied a square knot, it works well but, it isn't as easy to rig/derig as the strap so I switched to the strap. The strap has more drag, but with the right setup you don't notice it.

I flirted with the metal clew sleeve but reverted back to my original arrangement because the hook used with the sleeve is harder to fit and does not allow the boom to be released during rigging.
I use the combined block and hook which came with my outhaul upgrade.
When rigging I fit the boom to the gooseneck then place the outhaul hook through the clew and let go. The outhaul line runs out about 15 inches and locks there when the outhaul block on the primary line comes up against the boom fairlead (British outhaul setup). You can then take your time threading the outhaul line through the blocks at the front without worrying about the boom coming off.
I pull half the slack in and then fit the clew strap and finally fit the in-haul bungy.
I have no problems at all with the clew strap method.

i have the metal clew and i love it although attatching the shockcoard was tricky but i pushed it through under the pin and tied a figure of 8 knot in the end and the other end goes through the clam cleat with a figure of 8 knot in the end and this means that the tension can be easilly ajusted if needed although i have not ajusted it on the water yet and i cant see whu you would need lube on your boom mine slides perfectley.

I use a line with plastic beads on it for the clew stap. I have an SS hook similar to the plain harken clew hook with the outhaul looped through it. The clew line goes through the gromet and around the fixed side of the hook. I put the shock cord tensioner over the open end of the hook.

I sail in a windy area and have never lost the clew with this system either sailing or in a capsize. I have lost the clew with other systems and it isn't pretty in 25 kts.

Back