Class Politics Clew Sleeve vote deadline approaching

Chris123

Voting on the new rules closes July 31.

I encourage those of you who are paid-up class members (that should be all of us), to go to http://www.laserinternational.org/rules2006.htm
and vote.

I'm planning to vote against the proposed rule change on a matter of principle.

I like the idea of the clew sleeve, and I think the inventor and the builders deserve to make money by selling them. But, if we're going to allow sleeves, I see no reason to mandate builder-supplied ones and forbid home-made ones. I can't see how variation among sleeves violates the one-design principle any more than variation among tiller extensions does.

I'm promoting an alternative rule change, which would have the effect of allowing the John Christiansen boom sleeve (which I, and most of us, would buy anyhow) but also allows homemade sleeves. The following is not perfect.. it would need a going-over by a rules expert:

The clew of the sail shall be attached to the boom by a tie line or by some other means that holds the clew in close proximity to the boom, that permits outhaul adjustment, and that does not have the effect of stiffening the boom, pulling the clew below the top edge of the boom, or extending the clew attachment point outboard of the outhaul fairlead at the end of the boom.​

just a note. i have been using the prototype of the JC BOOM sleeve for a while now, and have experienced all sorts of conditions and wind. To be totaly un-biased, it has some kinks to work out. currently i run my bungee cord through the clue of the sail, but that is a pain, and defeats the purpose of the easy on-off hook. There needs to be space on the sleeve to attach it. I do like the rule that allows home made versions, especialy carbon-fibre ones. The sleeve is great in light winds, but in heavier air, i perfer the clew strap for a few reasons. First, it is more secure, and wont come unhooked no matter what. Second, the strap glides better in windy weather. All in all, i love the boom sleeve fore everyday sailing, which i do for four hours a day, every day. but when it comes to the race, i will always use my strap, unless it is 4 or 5 kts. I also think the hook should ve reversed. Looking from behind, i run my outhaul on the port side of the boat, and the cunninghamn on the left. Persional decision because it keeps less friction on the lines. Mc. lube is neccesary, in my oppinion, on very heavy wind days. The outhaul will loosen fine, but when you sheet it in, it is very hard to do. Light air is fine with just a bungee. It's a little pain to put on the boat, but i found a way to get it off an on pretty easily. My final desician is that i will buy one, or make my own out of carbon, for daily sails, and use my strap for races. The strapp also gets the clew closer to the boom. I do love the product, and do not want to ship it back to Merrily ;), but i guess i will have to dish out an extra fifly bucks to get my own. Jobs in highschool should pay more. I know i am forgetting somethign in this review, but i will think of it later.

Sorry for all the bad spelling

Josh R.

slalomskier said:
currently i run my bungee cord through the clue of the sail, but that is a pain, and defeats the purpose of the easy on-off hook. There needs to be space on the sleeve to attach it.

I got thin diameter shock cord and was able to run it through the axis/connector that the hook is on on the boom sleeve and did not have to attach it to the clew.

slalomskier said:
I do like the rule that allows home made versions, especialy carbon-fibre ones.

The vote calls for builder supplied for regattas, not home made.

slalomskier said:
The sleeve is great in light winds, but in heavier air, i perfer the clew strap for a few reasons. First, it is more secure, and wont come unhooked no matter what.
Josh R.

Has the boom sleeve ever come unhooked?

slalomskier said:
I also think the hook should ve reversed. Looking from behind, i run my outhaul on the port side of the boat, and the cunninghamn on the left.

Sorry I didn't send any instructions. You can orient it either direction, and the hook is supposed to go through to port. It's also no sweat to put it on the boom if the super secret instructions are included. :eek:

Back