Clew Sleeve released by Vanguard

WestCoast

Vanguard released the info for the stainless steel Clew Sleeves this morning :)

Price point came in just a bit under what most people were guessing. $45.

Class legal as of Dec 1, 2006.
Will be available from fine retailers everywhere Dec 13.

Details are in the Class Rules thread here on the Laser Forum, and of course already loaded on our website for our customers.

http://westcoastsailing.net/osCommerce/catalog/clew-sleeve-p-473.html

* sorry for the commercial plug, no one else seemed to load the info this morning for Laser sailors to browse over.

In all it's glory....

clew%20sleeve%20-%20West%20Coast%20Sailing.JPG

im wondering if it has a really noticable benefit. i guess ill see at orange bowl. maybe even get one depending on what the reviews are. and are these going to come standard on the Laser Pro configuration from vanguard.

Tim- I haven't tried one out personally. I think there is a thread on the front here that talks about it. I know Tracy sailed with one.

The benefit is in easy of rigging and simplicity. Takes a couple steps out of the process, if it's easier, hopefully we can coax just one more person onto the line at a race..you know?

No indication that it'll come standard on the new Laser Pros. I'll be including them all on the boats we 'Race Rig' but other than that, just an aftermarket piece for the boat.

thats really true because if you can keep everything rigged all you really have to do, if you keep your cunningham and vang together, is attach the vang and run a few lines for your controls and your done. It sounds alot quicker. I hope it takes off.

sailor327 said:
thats really true because if you can keep everything rigged all you really have to do, if you keep your cunningham and vang together, is attach the vang and run a few lines for your controls and your done. It sounds alot quicker. I hope it takes off.

As an old time laser sailor who came back to the class, I welcome the greater control of the basic sailing controls. However, rigging the boat is more of a pain. I ordered the clew sleeve as launching the boat and pulling it out again is a lot easier if you can just keep the clew of the boom off the boom until you are ready to go. Who needs the mainsheet jamming and the boat capsizing on its dolly. It capsizes fast enough out on the water! I be the king of the death roll! Oh, I better move or the boat will capsize. Oh dear, it already has. My reactions were sure better thirty years ago! So I think it is a great idea, even from the point of view of easy rigging. But I am sure it works really well too.

Phil Minnion

Philip Minnion said:
However, rigging the boat is more of a pain.

I thought that the new rigging would be a pain to rig but once you get used to it, it is not bad at all. I bought a preassembled upgrade kit a few years ago for my birthday and now I cannot think of going back to the old rigging. It doesn't take me longer to rig and I can adjust all the controls so much easier. You'll get used to it. I just got my new clew sleeve & hook and will be putting it on my boom. I'm not sure when I'll get to try it out though.

As being a pain, last Sunday I helped someone with the old rigging set up her boat and what a pain that was. I really had to think about how I used to tie the cunningham with the loops and forgot how I did the outhaul. She did get out on the water though. It's all in what you are used to.

Cindy

Back