Clew Sleeve or Velcro Strap

LuckyJack

Clew Sleeve or Strap, Whats better, the sleeve looks allot easier to rig up than getting the velcor strap around the boom (inside all the controls) and then hooking it on to the outhaul. Interested to know which is actually better to use?

Thanks

I just use a line with about 6 knot stoppers on it with a hook attach to the boom. It doesnt come off it stays attached to the boom. Then i take the outhaul line and attach it to the hook and it works great. Its easy on easy off and theres no resistance what so ever. I used to have the velcro but i like this much better.

I use (and like) the sleeve. Very easy to use, has never come undone (unlike the velcro strap), quick to rig and de-rig. Only negative (from my perspective) was that it was quite expensive.

Ian

I use a velcro clew strap and clew hook, the strap isn't hard to rig and the clew hook makes it easy to rig a block off the clew for the outhaul. I also use an inhaul attached to the clew or clew strap.

I used to use a clew tie down (run the line around twice and tie a square knot) and the clew it self as a turning point, this works fine if you don't want to spend the money on the strap and hook (~$30USD), the cons of this method are you have to untie the outhaul and untie a tiny square to release the clew rather than an easy unhook and unstrap.

I have the clew sleeve and it's exceptionally easy to rig and adjust. I also like that it keeps the sail pretty snug to the boom. It's pretty pricey for what it is, but I think it was a good purchase. It has yet to come unhooked by itself while I'm sailing/capsizing/turtling :)

I always thought that the clew strap was class legal and usable in all Laser class events and the clew sleeve was only ever allowed to be used in club racing and not Laser class racing at any events.

I always thought that the clew strap was class legal and usable in all Laser class events and the clew sleeve was only ever allowed to be used in club racing and not Laser class racing at any events.

Harken claims it's class legal:

Harken Laser® Clew Sleeve
Pulling the sail flush with the boom, the low-friction clew sleeve slides smoothly without binding. Rigging is fast and simple; the hook locks the clew securely in a single motion. Class legal and now available.

Quote Class rules:

(g) Clew Tie Down – also
see Rules 3(a) & 3(b)
i. The clew of the sail shall
be attached to the boom
by either a tie line or a
webbing strap with or
without a fastening device
wrapped around the
boom and through the sail
cringle, a quick release system attached to a tie
line or soft strap wrapped around the boom, or a
"Builder Supplied" stainless steel boom slide with
quick release system.

I'm very pleased with my expensive clew sleeve having bought it cheaply on Ebay from someone who was having difficulties using it. 2 years on, used every weekend, it has yet to fail.

I've had trouble with the clew sleeve coming undone after capsizes in big breeze (25kts+).

Went back to the velcro strap, not a problem since. And it's easier to adjust under load.

so there....my velcro strap sucks!! I reverted to tying the clew down with a line around the boom...that never loosens and slides fairly ok...I probably had the cheapest velcro strap ever ha ha ha

so there....my velcro strap sucks!! I reverted to tying the clew down with a line around the boom...that never loosens and slides fairly ok...I probably had the cheapest velcro strap ever ha ha ha

A number of us at my local club found that not all velcro straps are created equal. Some of them cheaper ones are more likely to bind, likely due to materials. Personally, mine has never been an issue.

I prefer the velcro strap, mainly because I find it easier to rig with my setup.
I don't like the integral hook which comes with the clew sleeve as I always worry it will come off.
I will concede that the sleeve is smoother to adjust on the water, but only if you have it perfectly set up, and I have found that to be a bit hit and miss.
I used to just use a piece of line but once had it come undone.

Back