Clew Sleeve Not Sliding

ABZLaser

I've just fitted my new Harken Clew Sleeve and am experiencing problems getting it to slide back and forth on the boom when adjusting the outhaul. I've rigged it as per the packaging instructions (Hook on port side, line on Starboard).
Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Perhalps I've opened it up too much when fitting it?
Forecast is for a blow tomorrow, so back to the velcro strap!

Did you try any McLube or TriFlow on the area... It needs to have a reduced friction area to slide metal on metal..

Mine jammed totally mid race in the first heat of the last regatta I sailed.

I couldn't get back to the beach and had to sail the whole day with the outhaul stuck in one spot.

I have since gone back to the strap, and had no probs. I'm sure the strap holds the leech tighter as well. Mostly likely throw my sleeve up on EBAY, I'm over it.

gotta keep putting mclube on it, its not a one time fix all thing, you have to take care and maintain your gear

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Went back to using the strap on Saturday (blowing a gusty Force 4), sailed 3 races and on the last beat on the 3rd race the velcro strap came undone! So now it's back to using a piece of rope!

Im not real happy with the velcro, maybe I am not threading it right. Pics/tricks anyone?

There's no threading involved. The strap just goes through the clew grommet as far as I remember (it's been awhile because I lost the strap and am now using the 'classical' Harken clew hook).

its simple, put the strap through the grommet on the sail, around the boom, then through the metal ring on the strap, and velcro it onto itself, then put velcro flap on, its not that hard, hence idiot proof

its simple, put the strap through the grommet on the sail, around the boom, then through the metal ring on the strap, and velcro it onto itself, then put velcro flap on, its not that hard, hence idiot proof

When someone has asked a serious question, it is not acceptable to describe the solution as idiot proof. You called the poster an idiot by using such language, and you continue to do so.

When someone has asked a serious question, it is not acceptable to describe the solution as idiot proof. You called the poster an idiot by using such language, and you continue to do so.

I know you meant no disrespect, but really the strap seems a little short, only an inch or so of velcro adheres. It came loose on the first beat, 1st race, so i had 3 or 4 non Laser, non dinghy sailors try to figure it out. The more beer we drank the less we understood. I cut it twice and its still too short...

Well for me it was. I never meant for it to be for him, and I am not calling him an idiot, if I was, I would have added his name to my post and outright called him one, which I did not.

But

If I did hurt his feelings in any way, then I'm sorry powergroove

I know you meant no disrespect, but really the strap seems a little short, only an inch or so of velcro adheres. It came loose on the first beat, 1st race, so i had 3 or 4 non Laser, non dinghy sailors try to figure it out. The more beer we drank the less we understood. I cut it twice and its still too short...

why did you cut it?

it should come perfect as is

who did you order the strap from?

Interesting to see more comments on the sleeve now there has been more time. Tried the velcro strap for a while and it began to slip, then let go once. Went back to rope, realising that better systems exist, but under laser OD rules, all these compromises are never going to work 100%. It's crazy someone can't solve this outhaul slide business out.

How's the all-in-one-clew-outhaul failsafe (idiot proof) system design coming along, Ross?

i didnt cut it, that was a joke, an old one at that

I ordered it from APS

but which one? SEA, Rooster, Laser??

How's the all-in-one-clew-outhaul failsafe (idiot proof) system design coming along, Ross?

easy mate, the foot of the sail would be a full length bolt rope, into the boom, Finn, CFJ,420, 505 and every other dinghy style

the Rooster or the Sea ones are the way to go, I've never had a problem with them

Hey,

I am all for progress etc... but, I can honestly not see the advantage to all this velcro, clew strap stuff.

I am pretty sure that I can get the normal clew tie down tighter and it has NEVER EVER jammed on me - not once in over 20 years of sailing a laser.

So, my recommendation to you ABZlaser is lose both the velcro and the clew stap - spend the coin you would have on those and get a 20 ft of 1/8" line and make yourself about 8 clew ties. If you are concerned about losing one, take an extra one in your pocket.

Anycase, as far as any more changes to the rigging - pshaw on that - complete waste of time in my opinion. Anyone invent a better paper clip lately?

Matt

its consistent, and quick, and easy to do

all about personal preference, its a beautiful thing

exactly, your allowed several kind of clew tie downs, that are legal under the rules, its a one design boat

Indeed -

But for the sake of 45 bucks - I think a square knot works just fine.

Geezer - sorry I don't 'get' your comment. One design sailing to me means I shouldnt have to waste time thinking about this stuff - are you agreeing with me? or just being sarcastic?

m

no body said you had to spend the 45, you could always spend 2 buck on a piece of line that will stretch 8 inches..., or spend 10 buck on a piece of line that won't stretch, but is difficult to tie and untie with its blowing 20

or

spend the 45, and know that your clew will be at the SAME height every single time, 45 bucks for piece of mind, beautiful

but is difficult to tie and untie with its blowing 20
I once thought his was a problem, which was why I looked into a velcro, but with a bit of practice you can do it easy with the rope set up.

Make sure boat is slightly off head to wind to put the boom off the aft quarter. No need to lean in over the transom then.

attach clew hook

apply outhaul tightly (reduces the amount of boom flap)

tie the knot

release outhaul

done.

well yea, you could do it that way

work with me Saw, come on

I still think the two straps are the easiest ways to do it, but thats just me

I once thought his was a problem, which was why I looked into a velcro, but with a bit of practice you can do it easy with the rope set up.

Make sure boat is slightly off head to wind to put the boom off the aft quarter. No need to lean in over the transom then.

attach clew hook

apply outhaul tightly (reduces the amount of boom flap)

tie the knot

release outhaul

done.

It's idiot proof, huh?

Actually, I've tried them all and they all work. I like the strap the least, because the clew hook tended to pop off more than with the others for me.

But we digress. The poster wanted to know how to get his metal strap to slide. You may also want to lightly steel wool your boom and also make sure your lines are clean. Dirty lines are stiff and they stick. Then there's the lubrication already mentioned.

people here don't use the clew hook on the velcro strap, to much trouble

Chainsaw - I do the same as you, with one modification - if it is really honking and you're concerned about taking a grommet to the noggin, then I actually connect up the outhaul first, then put the boom in the goose neck. Then sinch up the outhaul. Gives me more control of the sail.

Ross - I don't get it Ross - you seem so full of contradictions.

On the one hand you pontificate about saving money and on the other, you seem to have spent about 60 dollars on clew tie downs (as you say, you have never had a problem with the SEA, the Rooster or the Clew Sleeve). That is alot of hardware for a 8 dollar piece of line for a guy concerned about saving money.

In an earlier thread about this exact same topic, you mention that 1/4 inch won't make a difference, and then in this thread, you imply that the 'peace of mind' is worth 45 dollars?

Please, if you are going to toss out opinions and advice with such amazing frequency and run for some Class office (unless that is some elaborate joke), at least be consistent in your views and advice - otherwise, you come across as simply being a know it all typing to hear the sound of your own voice.

Sorry if that sounds harsh,

Matt

you know I save all the money? want to know my secret? I'm 20, live at home, and am "sponsored" by my parents!

and yes, the class office is a bit of a joke, for now, in 10 years, it might be serious

"In an earlier thread about this exact same topic, you mention that 1/4 inch won't make a difference, and then in this thread, you imply that the 'peace of mind' is worth 45 dollars?"

yep, basically

Indeed -

Geezer - sorry I don't 'get' your comment. One design sailing to me means I shouldnt have to waste time thinking about this stuff - are you agreeing with me? or just being sarcastic?

m

I think I was being sarcastic and agreeing with you. It was amazing to me that someone could argue that personal preference is a beautiful thing in this context. To me, that sentiment goes against the whole essence of one-design sailing.

One means one.

Back