Cleats for my New Boat

COCatalina

I just bought a brand new Catalina 14.2. I would like to be able to keep it stored on the water in a slip but when I purchased the boat it did not come with any cleats installed. Can anyone provide assistance with the best way to install cleats on this boat as well as any types of cleats that are the best to use. Any pictures would be helpful as well.

I'd sure like to know this too for my 16.5

I usually tie off with my rope traveller on the back, abd thought about using something tied to where the furled jib attaches too. :eek:

I wouldn't add cleats as its just something else to foul the running rigging on. Just tie off on the bow eye in front of the forestay. Leave that line attached and while underway just lead it back to the base of the mast. For tying the stern off, tie a loop in the end of the traveler as it runs though the deck. Tie your dock line to that (when needed). :D

I had to remove a cleat a previous owner attached to the bow of my boat. It kept catching the jib sheet, and several times nearly sent me and my wife for a swim.

Dave

Avoid Cleats

The C14 I almost bought had nylon cleats at the far corners of the after deck and I thougt about adding a pair to the C14 I did buy. So far, glad I didn't. I moor to a dock all summer with 4 lines, 2 from the dock and 2 from pipes set about 7 feet away, opposite the dock. Forward lines run to the bow eye and after lines clip to the rudder brackets with large brass clips. As often as I get my main sheet wrapped aroung the hiking stick and tiller, I'm glad there are no cleats back there to catch the main sheet on. :)

My 14.2 had stern cleats when I bought it. They caused some scary times. The particular cleat had an eye hole in it. Since they were plastic, I got the hacksaw out and converted them to eyes. This was less drastic than removal and hole patching. It is not perfect but much better. The main sheet does not catch like it used to.

Back