Cleat replacement

Ok, I turned the boat over and started addressing the deck. Noticed someone had put some sort of caulk on stearn side of the splash guard. It had gaps in it and none on the bow side but in any case it looked cheesy. I was a little nervous about unscrewing the stainless screws it was held down with not knowing if a block would fall down. I unscrewed a few and peeked. Looks like someone has pulled off the guard because it was cracked on both ends and glassed the whole backside then painted green again. They also used the method of plastic inserts and screws to re-attach the guard. All in all they did a real good job except the cheesy attempt at putting caulk as an edger.
Question, if a guard is ok except a little dull and cleaning old caulk off, what's the best way to get color back and shiney? Then I'll re-attach with no caulk.

Rust-Oleum. If you can't match the color exactly to the stripes then spray the stripes as well. The interesting thing there is the Rust-Oleum can be removed with careful sanding, back to the gelcoat, if you change your mind later.

Stainless machine screws would normally go into closed end threaded rivet nuts (rivnuts). If you had pointy screws then someone has worked there before.

rivnut.jpg

In the mid 70s AMF switched to closed end rivets.

Photo below, Rust-Oleum stripes and coaming.

IMG_2205.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: tag
Dang! That looks waaaay sharper than my green original. I don't really like it and a red white and blue boat and sail was always my fave even back in the 70s.
Is that spray rustolium or brush on? Does it hold up to deck surface conditions?
I'm going to put together as original since I actually have the original green and white sunfish sail. However I see a change in my future once it wears out.

And yes someone most definately had removed and replace the splash guard with ghe plastic things. Ill leave they since they are holding good for now.

Well 15 minutes , some 610 and the cleat reinstall with backing plate is solid as a rock.
Hull bottom holes repaired, new bow handle, mast cup and dagger pocket renewed and sealed, de Persia metal bailer and original deck drain replaced...(thanks to Alan... LV&W)
No cutting access port in the boat. Woop woop!
All Blades and wood refinished with 8 coats of varnish after sanding and prepping.
Will work on spars and rigging tomorrow. Put rudder back together w all new or restored hardware. May make it sailing this week. Weather is great here.

Attachments

• 20210420_152938.jpg
    20210420_152938.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210501_152808.jpg
    20210501_152808.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 42
Since I always avoid cutting ports on a good boat, I guess I'll go with my original plan of the aluminum backing backing plate as shown in pic, put in through slot with parachord between holes and epoxied while upside down. Cleat holes are pre drilled and pre screwed so they should go in fairly well.
I figure its the short step but secure as long as I use the halyard lash loop on the mast. If it tears out... then I do the port repair as suggested anyway. I'll post if it tears out so everyone can get a good dig in ;) LOL
My Daddy always said I was the stubborn one.
Your hesitation in cutting ports is understandable. I was hesitant too at first. Why cut holes in a perfect or a near-perfect hull, right? Besides, if ports were necessary they would have been integrated into the original design, right? However, I think installing ports has more advantages and none of the disadvantages. I have 1969 sunfish in very good condition. So cutting holes in it felt like an unnecessary or even "damaging" act. However, losing a little bit of fiberglass in no way affects the boat structurally or in terms of its performance. But it provides you with several advantages: you can access the inside of the boat for repairs like yours and beyond (such as changing the old-style rudder into the newer one). You can drain and dry the boat much better, which is important, it provides you with additional storage space inside the hull for light items such as emergency plastic paddle and alike. The only disadvantage may be the "look" if you have a vintage boat and try to preserve its original look. However, I think unless your Sunfish is of the 1945-1955 period, there is not much "value" in its "vintage" appeal anyways.

Your hesitation in cutting ports is understandable. I was hesitant too at first. Why cut holes in a perfect or a near-perfect hull, right? Besides, if ports were necessary they would have been integrated into the original design, right? However, I think installing ports has more advantages and none of the disadvantages. I have 1969 sunfish in very good condition. So cutting holes in it felt like an unnecessary or even "damaging" act. However, losing a little bit of fiberglass in no way affects the boat structurally or in terms of its performance. But it provides you with several advantages: you can access the inside of the boat for repairs like yours and beyond (such as changing the old-style rudder into the newer one). You can drain and dry the boat much better, which is important, it provides you with additional storage space inside the hull for light items such as emergency plastic paddle and alike. The only disadvantage may be the "look" if you have a vintage boat and try to preserve its original look. However, I think unless your Sunfish is of the 1945-1955 period, there is not much "value" in its "vintage" appeal anyways.

I agree to a certain extent monster, I just like to preserve whatever item it is, as close to original as possible unless painfully necessary. To me Its like putting an outboard on a mahogony 55 Chris Craft because the engine is blown or I could get parts. I know thats and extream example but you get the idea. In this particular case it turns out it wasn't neccesary and I'm putting her in the water today. Blue bird ski, calm water here in Florida but only about a 3mph wind. Its been about 8-10 last couple days and I would have preferred that, but I'll take what I can get and there is always hope for tomorrow. I do see your point and it may get there for me if something happens.

I totally understand. And being a po-man myself I also tend to cherish the original. But if she accumulates water over time, gets heavier or god forbid mold inside the hull and other hardware on the deck gets loose because of that - port seems a good idea. However, the biggest "issue" I have with your post is "blue bird sky," "calm" an "Florida":)))) I am sitting here in upstate NY, 53F air, 42F water temperatures and rain. All I can do just watch my boat sitting nicely in a garage. Hope you understand my jealousy:))))) Best regards!!

Back