cleat positions for outhaul and cunningham

triguy46

I saw a site in which the author stated emphatically that the cleats for these sail adjustments go on the port side of the boom. Is there a sailing reason for that? A racing reason? Style reason? Peer pressure?

Mine are on the starbord side of the boom, and they seem to work fine so I really dont think it makes a difference. When they are on this side they are on the same side as me (on port roundings), but its on the oppsosite side at the leward mark (again with port roundings).

I think the cunningham should be directly under the spar so it can be easily adjusted on either tack. I put my outhaul on the starboard side so it can be released at the windward mark. The tail of the line goes around the mast so it can be tightened easily on starboard and port. That eliminates the leeward mark rounding issue.

Similiarly im wondering were is the best position for the outhaul and cunningham cleats along the boom. Should they be foward of the cockpit out of the way yet within reach, or should they be in over the cockpit. It seems that if they were too far back they would be hard to reach. What is the most confortable placement?

derekcjackson said:
I think the cunningham should be directly under the spar so it can be easily adjusted on either tack. I put my outhaul on the starboard side so it can be released at the windward mark. The tail of the line goes around the mast so it can be tightened easily on starboard and port. That eliminates the leeward mark rounding issue.

Having a cleat on the bottom of the boom may be dangerous to (the wellbeing of) your skull????
As I recall, at the 2003 Worlds in St Maarten, Vanguard had installed the cleats on the bottom of the boom, but many of the sailors protested and the cleats were taken off prior to the racing.

Wavedancer said:
Having a cleat on the bottom of the boom may be dangerous to (the wellbeing of) your skull????
As I recall, at the 2003 Worlds in St Maarten, Vanguard had installed the cleats on the bottom of the boom, but many of the sailors protested and the cleats were taken off prior to the racing.

That's interesting. I have a 2003 Worlds boat and I hate the cleat on the bottom of the boom. I haven't hit my head, but my main sheet gets caught in it. I've put duck tape around it to prevent my main sheet from cleating in it.

The outhaul cleat is on starboard side of the boom at 64inches from the front of cleat to where the front end cap meets the aluminum spar. This is approxiamately where the boom block is on the spar.

The locate cunningham cleat on bottom of the boom at 41 inches from the front of cleat to where the front end cap meets the aluminum spar.

These measurements are approximate. I recommend you lay it out on your spar and make sure they will not interfere with the sail when you tighten/loosen the outhaul.

To the best of my knowledge these positions are what the Worlds boats use. However, I believe they have (or had) the cunningham cleat on the starboard side (as opposed to under). It is so far enough forward that you will never have a problem hitting your head. It is definitely worth putting the cleat under the spar to simplify the adjustment on either tack.

Masthead in Florida sells clamp on cleats that you can move around. This simplifies trying different locations without making swiss cheese out of your spars.

http://www.mastheadsailinggear.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SF377

What do people use to plug holes in their spars when they move things like these cleats? I'm thinking about repositioning my cleats and don't want to leave holes in the spars that might allow salt water to enter them.

Thanks

I am not sure if this is the best or simplest solution but this is what I have done and it has been effective.

I injected a small quantity of resin inside the spar through the hole. The resin mixture was probably a ketchup consistency. I then put masking tape (expoxy does not stick to it) over the hole and left the hole facing down so gravity would settle the epoxy into the hole. After about 24 hours when the epoxy had cured I removed the tape. No sanding was required.

I repositioned my outhaul cleat and in the holes I put in an aluminum rivet. I then squirted in clear 100% silicone caulk to keep it watertight.

Cindy Taylor said:
What do people use to plug holes in their spars when they move things like these cleats? I'm thinking about repositioning my cleats and don't want to leave holes in the spars that might allow salt water to enter them.

Thanks

Totally unprofessional: I used duct tape......

hey everyone,

sorry but i'm both new and slow... i've read alot about the outhaul and cunningham rigging and some information on the locations of these rigging components, along with the picture at the link below.

http://www.sunfishclass.org/tips/cleats.gif

can someone please take a picture of their setup that will give me an idea of how and where to rig these parts? i'm sure its not as confusing as it seems now. right now, i know mine is rigged incorrectly. i have to hold the lead in my hand while i'm sailing because there is no swivel cleat in place on the deck. i know these topics have probably been covered, but i think pictures may be worth a thousand posts.

thanks everyone!
josh
clemson, sc

Josh- I tried several times to upload a zip file of pictures that is about 6 MB. For some reason it is not working. If you give me an email address I will send them to you. Derek

Really stupid question, reading this I now I have Cunningham cleats on my boom, what do you do with them, how do they work, do I need them?
I have a feeling the ones I have are broken, or it is me.

Cunningham and outhauls are used to adjust race style sail shape.

In general loose is better in lighter air, tighten up and flatten the sail to reduce power in higher air.
A search of sunfish race tuning will give you more info should you want to learn more about sail and boat trim.

I prefer to have the additional adjustment racing or not, any thing I can do to make my boat sail better I go for.

Jpjanke:
Typically, there may be a cleat on the boom to adjust the C'ham and one to adjust the outhaul. Racers use them so they can adjust trim 'on the fly', but you really don't need them as a casual 'mature' sailor.

PS: Nothing is stupid on this forum...

Thanks JohnCT.
Typically, there may be a cleat to adjust the C'ham and one to adjust the outhaul. Racers use them, but you really don't need them as a casual 'mature' sailor.

PS: Nothing is stupid on this forum...
Love the mature sailor, just thinking about if I still have it in me to stand on the centerboard and flip her back
Should I remove them, pretty sure they are busted, the black is now almost gray. I have just read how to fill the holes up if I do.
Thank you

To fill holes get some aluminum screws and jb weld, the screws should be super tight fit, drop of jb weld on the screw, screw in tight, let glue dry, cut off screw, file flush

Back