Cleat on Mast

James W.

Is the only way to secure a cleat to the mast by rivet (other than bolting it all the way through) ?

If so, bummer. Home Depot doesn't rent pop rivet guns and I doubt if I'll ever have to rivet anything
else in my life.

Thanks, James

You don't have to pop-rivet a cleat to your mast. (None of my three Sunfish have one). The mast will be somewhat stronger without holes drilled in it, but a cleat is good thing to have, and pop-rivets are what I would use. There's not enough "meat" in the mast material to thread it for a machine screw. I'd be tempted to use epoxy in addition to the rivets, but the mast is made of aluminum, and epoxy (by itself) may fail.

If you buy a pop-rivet gun, look for one that has a swivel head and is a known name-brand. The latter is the best of my collection, but I don't have it in front of me right now. DeWalt? Arrow? Stanley? Craftsman is another good solid brand. Chinese-made guns don't have the same feel, are hurtful to use, and may break. All they have in common with the best pop-rivet gun is a "wrinkle" finish to the paint.

A handyman like myself has collected a number of pop-rivet guns, but I still have to schlep to the hardware store to find the exact length, diameter, and suitable metal type rivet I'm needing—so I can sympathize with your circumstance. Have you tried a neighbor? You can carry the mast there, and the cleat could be attached in a few minutes. :)

Last edited:
Thanks sailcraftri, I'm in Florida. Maybe I can find one around here from a friend or
marine repair shop.

James

Where in FL? I have a brother in St. Pete and he has a small pop rivet gun available. I'll be there the end of the month.

Thanks for the info Light & Variable. Sailcrafyri, I'm in Pensacola area (panhandle).
I'll try around some of the marine places. Thanks !

I have always used self-tapping stainless steel screws with a little dab of epoxy so they don't back out.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I used stainless steel screws and the cleat has remained in place for the last 4 or 5 years without any issues. Practically all of the force on the cleat is in shear rather than tension, so the screws don't need a huge amount of grip (unlike the fairlead if you don't use a cleat).

Reactions: tag
I agree with Alan (& Wavedancer & Kevin) - I used #10 stainless steel screws, with a dab of 3M 4200 sealant as well. I did drill a small pilot hole in the mast.
img0175_106.jpg

Back