cleaning / restoring deck / hull.

reedwhit

I have an old '76 laser and want to know the best way to wash and resurface the deck and hull.

I have a pressure washer that I can use. But wanted to see if that is wise as it may introduce damage.
What about using bleach. I see some restoration pics here where the deck comes out nice and white. How?

Is the only way to restore the hull (I have red gel coated hull) and get out the oxidation to use wet sanding and then buff with compound?

What about the deck? Should I wet sand the deck? I know I should not paint. Any tricks/suggestions for cleaning products?

Thanks much. This forum is a jewel.

Regards, Reed

For the red hull, wet sand and wax about 6-10 times and itll look like it came out of the factory. You can use Lysol Toilet bowl bleach (you need the thick blue gooey one) and that will do. Mix it with some Ajax and make a paste and let it sit for about 20 mins and itll come white.

If your near West Marine, I got this great thing called Semco hull cleaner, its instant white before your eyes. IMHO if you want to save $10 use the bleach but if you would rather do it and be done in about 10 mins, go Semco Hull cleaner, well well worth it.

what you re going to want to do is to wet sand the hull, and use pretty much every grit you can get your hands on, end with 2000.

Now on the deck issue, i always use soft scrub and a nice tough brush.

you can use the pressure washer just be sure to keep a distance from the nozzle and the hull at all times.

after all this has been done you should wax and buff.

thats about all.

and if you want to paint the boat, just let me know i've restored about 14 boats in the past 3 years. i can tell you everything i know.

Please tell everything you know! I'm in the middle of restoring an old Minifish. Fiberglass patches and sanding through paint all over the place. I'd love any advice you can give.

I read that a few days back. It helped a lot with the order in which to do things but was sparse on details. Been perusing forums for days when I'm not working. It's really going well. I just wanna makes sure it stays that way! Thanks for your help!

be carefull with a pressure washer i blasted a lump of gellcoat straight off mine lucky i didnt have the other nozel on otherwise i bet it would have made a hole straight through the fibreglass aswell.

Back