Cleaning Hull on 1981 Laser II- Tree Sap

Thedarkness

I just picked up my dad’s old laser II and am fixing it up. It hasn’t sailed in 20 years. There is a bunch of sap on the hill. Doesn’t come off with scrubbing, acetone, WD 40.

I am not planning on racing.

can I just sand it off?

any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 7D0CA0D3-2D47-4300-96F0-063D1F09E9FD.jpeg
    7D0CA0D3-2D47-4300-96F0-063D1F09E9FD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • 0804B6C2-ADCB-414C-B98E-E4206283E33E.jpeg
    0804B6C2-ADCB-414C-B98E-E4206283E33E.jpeg
    701.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 89A0EC29-0E8D-4480-8C6E-B0FF97A1194B.jpeg
    89A0EC29-0E8D-4480-8C6E-B0FF97A1194B.jpeg
    890.1 KB · Views: 52
I would be very careful sanding such an old hull (maybe with 2000 paper?).
Instead, I would try SoftScrub (with bleach) or Barkeepers Help.

If the sap has cured hard, try mechanical means: scraper, razor knife, whatever. Maybe experiment with that gunk remover, I forget the brand name, there's probably more than one product brand available. If you're careful, you may be able to remove the sap without damaging the gelcoat too badly. Dunno if you intend to paint the hull, if so then sanding is no problem. Boat looks to be in good shape, even the mainsail which looks to have been stored indoors for most of its life. I take it the jib is in equally good shape? Was the tree sap a long-term thing, or did your pop usually store the boat in the garage or under a tarp? Don't discount the older boats, especially if they've been cared for properly most of the time... you can get plenty of use out of that boat yet, once you bring 'er up to speed. I'd be happy to have that boat & trailer right there, sail on the lakes here in Arizona and drag 'er out to the coast on occasion. Judging by your pics, I'd say overall that ya scored, and you won't have to do too much to get that boat on the water. Meh, back to my cold cerveza... Cheers!!! :cool:

IMG_2984.JPG

P.S. Bonus shot of Tiger & Crackhead chillin' like villains on the East Side slab this morning, with the temp nice and cool from the overcast. Hopefully I'll see another torrential downpour this afternoon or evening... :rolleyes:

If the sap has cured hard, try mechanical means: scraper, razor knife, whatever. Maybe experiment with that gunk remover, I forget the brand name, there's probably more than one product brand available. If you're careful, you may be able to remove the sap without damaging the gelcoat too badly. Dunno if you intend to paint the hull, if so then sanding is no problem. Boat looks to be in good shape, even the mainsail which looks to have been stored indoors for most of its life. I take it the jib is in equally good shape? Was the tree sap a long-term thing, or did your pop usually store the boat in the garage or under a tarp? Don't discount the older boats, especially if they've been cared for properly most of the time... you can get plenty of use out of that boat yet, once you bring 'er up to speed. I'd be happy to have that boat & trailer right there, sail on the lakes here in Arizona and drag 'er out to the coast on occasion. Judging by your pics, I'd say overall that ya scored, and you won't have to do too much to get that boat on the water. Meh, back to my cold cerveza... Cheers!!! :cool:

View attachment 47160

P.S. Bonus shot of Tiger & Crackhead chillin' like villains on the East Side slab this morning, with the temp nice and cool from the overcast. Hopefully I'll see another torrential downpour this afternoon or evening... :rolleyes:
i bet really hot water would soften it.

Back