cleaning a sail

herbaker

Greetimgs,
Does anyone have any tips on cleaning a sail I have an older sail that was left outside by the previous owner. There is dirt ground into it. I spread it out and tried to use ajax and lestoil with a brush to no avail.
There is also some mildew spots. Ironically the sail is in ok condition.
Thanks
Herb

snfish60 said:
Does anyone have any tips on cleaning a sail I have an older sail that was left outside by the previous owner. There is dirt ground into it.....There is also some mildew spots. Ironically the sail is in ok condition.

Don't even think of cleaning it. You have the perfect opportunity for out-psyching your competition at regattas this season. Show up for the regattas with your dirty sail. Make sure the rest of your boat matches it - frayed lines, dog shit stains on the deck, old beer bottles in the cockpit. And you have to play the part too. Don't shave for 4 days before the regatta. Let your hair grow long and don't wash it for a week. Wear your oldest clothes - preferably stuff that was the height of sailing fashion in the sixties - maybe a torn pair of shorts, a T-shirt advertising some beer, some geeky hat with ear flaps perhaps..... You get the idea.

Then go win the start, extend your lead all the way round the course and score a bullet in every race.

All the local hotshots will be going, "Who IS that guy with the dirty sail?"

Herb,

The only thing to avoid is an alkaline substance in the presence of sunlight. So, make sure you rinse it well.

Old Geezer said:
All the local hotshots will be going, "Who IS that guy with the dirty sail?"

Actually,

I think they'll all be saying: "Oh look, Old Geezer came out for our race!! Wow... the entry fee must have been real low"

<gg>

sorry, couldn't resist..

Geezer can I start billing you for keyboards? I've got diet coke on one and beer on another ( both times out my nose). If I didn't have kids I wouldn't have the spare keyboards laying around. These posts really make my day but could you keep the really funny ones until after happy hour the diet coke is painful.

Back