Class Legal Hiking Strap

Still new to class - 15 months in. Preparing for NAs next week in Charleston. I've read the class rules numerous times, but cannot discern whether "just any old" hiking strap will meet class rules. For the deck and hull, the rules state that we can use only approved fittings, etc. Easy peasy. There are no specs in the rules for the length or type of hiking strap (the one that came with my "used" 2013 boat is end-to-end longer than the cockpit - lol) or whether the chosen hiking strap can have grommets in its ends (e.g., to duplicate David Loring's "attachment" hiking strap in the YouTube video). First question - is there any specified hiking strap that is the only one that is class legal? Or may we use any hiking strap that we can make, find, etc.? Second question - my current strap is attached with two bolts at the front and a single "pad eye" fitting in the rear. Question 2: Must we keep these two attachment points as-is, or can we add, for example, a second "pad eye" to the aft of the cockpit? Sorry for being a newbie - but I could use a little help. Thanks!

One thing I try to do is consider the the colors of the boat and sail when selecting a hiking strap. While black is always acceptable, many sailors prefer a complementary or contrasting color. Just please try to avoid clashes - an orange or green strap on a boat with red trim is never appropriate. On the other hand, a dark blue strap on a boat with lighter blue trim is handsome and eye catching.

The rules are your friend - they just say “a strap,” so the sky is the limit on colors! And since padding is also optional but legal, you could, budget permitting, order up a strap with a contrasting color of padding - you’ll get style points for sure!

Thanks for the input, Hilulover. I've already ordered a white strap - I live in Charleston and another color would likely "heat up" so much that I'd burn my tootsies when I hike. ha I plan to put two grommets in the aft strap to rig like David Loring's in the YouTube video.

Good question about 2 eyestraps. I think always come from the factory with one and I’ve never heard complaints . If you ask about 2 at the NAs please let us know what you hear.

Will do. I'll ask John Butine about it - I understand that he will be the measurer. Will bring an extra "non-modified" hiking strap with me - meaning the original in which I have not installed two grommets into one end of the hiking strap loop.

I wouldn't worry much about adjusting the strap. I have painfully (!) learned that it is more important to keep your head out of the boat, find the best side of the course, position yourself properly for the mark roundings, not run into other boats etc. And to try to get a decent start...

Agreed, but it would be nice to be "legal" before a WQ begins so that I don't get thrown out. lol And with my current strap, max tight still allows the strap to rise twelve inches above the cockpit floor. Yikes! Thanks for the input.

1559787733359.png

Back