Chipping on front of boat

Either way it sounds like a simple gel coat repair. The hardest part is matching the color. I like to spray on gelcoat for small repairs. I use the PreVal disposable sprayers. Cover with wax paper to allow is to dry and wetsand/buff smooth. You can buy gelcoat from vanguard, but it is kind of expensive. If your boat is new it is the easiest way to get the color to match. If your boat is old you will have to mix the color yourself.

The boat is an 87 that I'm looking at the bottom is does not have a shine and feels rough would gel coat be the cure here? The guy told me he used it for racing all the time and that it was stored upside down all the time. My next question is that when we rolled it over I heard things moving around and the guy said this is normal that that noise was the floatation devices shifting around . Any thoughts?

Rough is bad, shine is strickly cosmetic. For the rough, wetsand with 600 or smoother paper. It should help bring some of the color back too.

I agree your noise is probably the floatation and I would not worry about it.

It's not really rough I mean I can slide my hand across but there is no shine at all like it doesn't have gel coat on

jwisenb495 said:
It's not really rough I mean I can slide my hand across but there is no shine at all like it doesn't have gel coat on

It's probably dirty. Get some teflon polish and do a small area and see if it shines up. You can't gel coat the whole hull.

jwisenb495 said:
Is that all it could be just dirty?

Well, it's hard to tell from where I'm sitting! ;) But yeah, one of my Lasers is dirty right now and it's not shiny at all. I know it will look great with a little boat soap and polish. The idea of sanding with 600 grit is a great one too, but a little teflon polish will tell you the story quickly.

Thanks, there is also a small repair that was made on the deck of the boat I thought it was a piece of gum driied and stuck. Any thought on how to make a better cosmetic repair?

Back