Centreboard won't stay up

Hi

I am long time sailor first timer in a laser and I cannot seem to get the cenrteboard to stay up reaching or downwind. I have shifted the friction pad forward so that only about half of it is under the plastic cap but this seems to do nothing. Do it need to make it off centre to actually rub against the board?

Do I need the elastic from the bow quite tight to tilt it forward as it is currently a little bit loose

Cheers

Re: Centreboard wont stay up

The elastic doesn't hold your centre board up, the centreboard brake (friction pad) does. You need to make sure this is in good condition and replace it regularly.

If your elastic is too tight them when you hit a wave upwind the board will get pulled up slightly - really annoying.

The elastic doesn't hold your centre board up, the centreboard brake (friction pad) does. You need to make sure this is in good condition and replace it regularly.

If your elastic is too tight them when you hit a wave upwind the board will get pulled up slightly - really annoying.

really? thanks for that. i always thought it was the elastic

So is it the sides of the friction pad that act as a brake or is it the back of the V?

I have moved the pad forward so it is about half way under the plastic cap, does it need to be furtehr forward than that?

thanks

another fast eddy tip. Squeeze the rubber stop together and screw it in with an abundance of 5200, so the overflow glues the stop in place with a good pinch on the back of the blade....

So is it the sides of the friction pad that act as a brake or is it the back of the V?

I have moved the pad forward so it is about half way under the plastic cap, does it need to be furtehr forward than that?

thanks

Sounds like you might need a new friction pad (brake) to me if you have had to move it that far forward. They are not too expensive so try replacing it. I check mine regularly and keep it where it needs to be. I also have the elastioc realtively tight but I sail on flat water so have never come across the issue described by Sailorchick.

If your boat is old then the front of the centre board case can wear and your centre board will not bear against the rubber pad properly. build the worn out bit up with fibreglass, sand it into a nice curve and chuck a coat of gel coat on it.

Very good suggestion. Come to think of it, the front of my centerboard trunk is very worn down, so I guess I have to really cake the glass on there. Thank you for the suggestion!!!

Yahtsman Not Sailor

Is easy, tape around it (using a color other then white). Buy a container of "glass fiber filler" (fibreglass resin with chopped up matting in it) and start filling it using a butter knive. The other main contact point is down on the bottom of the centre board case so i chucked some down there as well. If you have heaps to do then do it in bits, not a huge wad. Test ur centreboard between layers (dont take long to dry) and make it a bit bigger then needed. Sand down to the tape and make a curve in the glass. Take it for a test sail (important) then if ur happy put a coat of gel on it so it dosent stand out like dogs balls.

I have never been able to get the friction pad ar the aft end of the case to do anything useful.

Using some tape at the top front edge of the case (now legal) - only moderate tension (on shockcord to bow or mast) is needed to hold the board in position. Need shockcord that has the right extension properties and a good abraisive resistant cover. Some take too much force to stretch, others too little force - need moderate stretch over a reasonable length.

Only remaining wear area is at bottom rear edge of the case (if you just shove the board up/down while the shockcord rams the trailing edge of the board against this)

I think its a combination of the brake pad and the shock cord. The shock cord gives pressure that allows the back for the daggerboard to hit the break. Try replacing all of it. It's all relatively cheap stuff.

Also... what condition is your board in?

If your boat is old then the front of the centre board case can wear and your centre board will not bear against the rubber pad properly. build the worn out bit up with fibreglass, sand it into a nice curve and chuck a coat of gel coat on it.

If you plan on racing, this is illegal. You are allowed to have tape, but it has be under .25 of an inch or some crazy rule like that.

If you plan on racing, this is illegal. You are allowed to have tape, but it has be under .25 of an inch or some crazy rule like that.

Not quite, you are permitted to restore / repair the gel coat / fibreglass but only to the original shape and thickness that existed. See rule 26(a)

In addition, you're permitted a 30mm square (max) piece of general purpose tape, no thicker than 2mm thick. Rule 14(d)

Thank you AlanD ...Was about to start grinding my new repairs. I know that these rules are adapted for the average joe but it still bogs you down. Sailing is one of those the few sports that really takes TIME to master. Not just a matter of being a young hot shot.

I have the reverse "problem". I changed the brake last year and I try to push it back as much as possible but the board is still difficult to operate, I tought with time the break would wear and help. The shock cord is always loose. I use McLube, it helps but not for long. Should I cut the V shape a little ?

Back