Class Politics Centreboard Shockcord Retainer Line

Old Geezer

Is it permitted to have a small piece of line, knotted as a loop, which goes though the eyes of the deck-mounted base plate for the blocks for the outhaul and cunningham control lines? The purpose of this loop is so that the shockcord for the centreboard can go through this loop in order to keep it clear of the vang fitting.

It appears that the automatic email mechanism (which goes to the four NA District Measurers) is not working. Hopefully Bradley can look at that when he gets a chance?

Rule 14(f) does allow you do do something like: tie a loop in one end of your mast tie down line, pass that through the eyes of the builder supplied deck plate (and then up to tie down your mast) and run the centerboard shock cord through it for the purposes of preventing it from getting entangled in the boom vang. I think the term "any" in the first sentence is not meant to be exclusive, then the last sentence allows you the freedom of attaching it with a loop in the tie down line.

I have not explicitly discussed this detail with Jean-Luc Michon but I know that many boats at the Laser/Master Worlds use this system and have had no problems passing inspection. I know that Rudy Ratsep has discussed this with Jean-Luc so I will see if I can get him to comment on it as well.

Note that a concern (which was discussed at the WC meeting) about running the shock cord around the bow is that if for some reason it came off then there might be enough slack in the shock cord to allow the centerboard to fall out.

Tracy

Back