Centreboard Humming

Radial 171107

Does anyone here know if there is a certain speed at which the centreboard seems to sing or is it different with every single centreboard? Whenever it hums though it means your having fun:D

That's a positive way to look at it.

The answer - since it caused by trailing edge imperfections, it will vary as to what speed it occurs, depending on the severity of the imperfection.

FWIW, the fact that it is humming means that you are not realizing all the potential speed. The fix is pretty easy - search this forum on
trailing edge hum
and google
rudder trailing edge hum

Oops! My mistake.... does it hapen to most you guys or have i got a totally dud centreboard:eek: It only happens top me at high speed. Is this strange? I have had this on otrbher boats i have sailed but the laser does it more.

I've had 5 sets of blades - two of the rudders did it out of the box. One daggerboard. It's such an easy thing to fix though, there's no reason to live with it.

It usually more noticible at higher speeds as the hum increases.

I'd say you would have to be going at least 6 - 10kts??

Just a guess really. As those wrist GPS things get cheaper we will be able to work out stuff like this with better accuracy.

I have a brand new board this year, and it hums all the time. WHen the wind is above say 8 knots and i am reaching my board is humming. If it is an imperfection, how do I fix it. I am a racer and i was unaware it was an imperfection, I just knew that it was the daggerboard vibrating in the trunk.

It's coming off the trailing edge so check that first. Is it perfectly smooth and straight? Perhaps try wet sanding this area of your board lightly. Be aware it's only a very "small" imperfection making the sound. So don't get too worried about it.

Usually a foil hums becuase it does not know the words. Perhaps if you copy and print out the following you can tape it to the inside wall of your trunk and the blade can read it and actualy sing rather than hum>>>

[SIZE=+1]Y'heave ho! My lads, the wind blows free,
A pleasant gale is on our lee,
And soon across the ocean clear
Our gallant bark shall bravely steer.
But ere we part from freedom's shore tonight,
A song we'll sing for home and beauty bright.

Then here's to the sailor,
And here's to the soldier, too,
Hearts will beat for him
Upon the waters blue.
Sailing, sailing,
Over the bounding main,
For many a stormy wind shall blow
Ere Jack comes home again,
Sailing, sailing,
Over the bounding main,
Ere Jack comes home again!

The sailor's life is bold and free,
His home is on the rolling sea,
And never heart more true or brave
Than he who launches on the wave.
Afar he speeds in distant climes to roam,
With jovial song he rides the sparkling foam.

Hearts will beat for him
Upon the waters blue.
Sailing, sailing,
Over the bounding main,
Sailing, sailing,
Over the bounding main,
Ere Jack comes home again!

The tide is flowing with the gale,
Y'heave ho! My lads, set every sail!
The harbor bar we soon shall clear,
Farewell once more to home so dear;
For when the tempest rages wide and far,
That home shall be the sailor's guiding star.

Hearts will beat for him
Upon the waters blue.
Sailing, sailing,
Over the bounding main,
Sailing, sailing,
Over the bounding main,
Ere Jack comes home again!​

[/SIZE]

The humming comes from imperfections in the boards that cause them to be slightly asymetrical. if there are noticeable chunks missing, fill them in with whatever the search turns up. Otherwize, throw on a few coats of paint and sand the boards down to 1000 grit or so. That's really the best you can do. Also, square off the trailing edge of both boards.

Back