Centerboard

I found a Capri Mod 1 in Butte County, California. Looks like it hasn't been sailed in to many years.

Some parts were missing and I didn't even know there was a bungie cord for the centerboard. Since it kept rising I just kept pulling it back. Had the boat out twice now.
Had to substitute two of the lines to get it on the water. Need to get real sailing lines because the jam cleats are going to tear up my substitute.

The Centerboard is very hard to lower, not so much to raise. I will find the proper bungie cord at Catalina. Was a real blast in a 20K wind but could use some fine tuning.

Spent quite a bit of time in a Tornado Class boat but haven't been out until I found this Capri neglected and lurking behind a hotel in the middle of the county. It hadn't seen the water in years.

Any hints about the centerboard would be helpful

Regards.

Stephen Wilson

I often don't use my bungie cord for my centerboard. Instead, I have a line tied to the top of the centerboard, run back through a carabiner on the barney post, then to a cleat. When I'm sailing or racing, I decided that I do not want the centerboard creeping up on its own. That is trouble when sailing solo.

I have to be careful when sailing in shallow water though, the bungie is there to allow some give if/when you run aground. You can use any stretchy bungie, you don't have to order from Catalina for this part.

Good luck and enjoy the boat.

-Robert
1989 Capri 14.2 Mod2
1984 Catalina 22

Centerboard pivoting

While I was storing the boat outside, I had some tree debris fall into the centerboard slot and get lodged, appearantly, movement of the board doesn't drop it out the bottom like I hoped originally, and once wet and dried to fiberglass you're looking at a mess that can jam up the action.

try rolling the boat off the trailer or hoisting it up if you have garage rafters, etc to do so. From there, inspect the CB gasket, and clean it up as needed. You can also order a replacement gasket from Catalina and replace it while you've got it accessable.

Back