Centerboard

Dennis Boggs

I have a 1984 Capri 14.2 s/n 454 that needs a centerboard. I just bought one from Catalina, and it is too thick, won't go down the slit in boat. Wasted $350 bucks on nothing. Does anyone have a board from an old boat?

Is the centerboard gasket the issue, or the entire centerboard is wider than the available space?

Also, try setting the date range view back a bit on the sellers forum. There was a guy parting out an older boat less than or around a month back.

The board is wider. There is a Capri in the same dry dock as me that is the next s/n from mine. The board in it is very thin compared to the new one. I will look for that old boat.

Thanks,
Dennis

Are you sure that you were sent the correct centerboard?

I have been told that C16 and C14.2 centerboards and rudders get mixed up occasionally. Happened to me with a rudder last fall.

Catalina changed their design slightly when they came out with the Mod 3 boat. This included a fatter centerboard. Your s/n indicates a mod I boat that needs the skinny c/b.
Call Catalina back and tell them you need the skinny centerboard, they are aware of the two and able to make both.
They will make one and get it out to you hopefully, the only additional cost will be to ship the fat board back.

Center board.

AZRICk's correct. Call them and ship it back - It's a common error. Just remember, anything you purchase from Catalina let them know you have a MOD 1.

Good luck,

clo

Back