Centerboard won't stay down

c14_art

I am new to sailing and just bought a new 14.2. I've been able to rig the boat with the help of this great website, but am puzzled about the centerboard. When I put it down it just floats back up. What keeps this down in the water, am I missing something?

Thanks, Art.

I guessing that you need a bungee cord!

There should be a bungee cord that runs from a bail on the top of the keel down the center of the cockpit to an eyelet near the bottom center of the transom. The tension on the bungee holds the keel down. If you don't see it, that is probably your problem. You can find bungee cord in bulk at many hardware and all marine stores. Holler if you have questions. I'll try to help. Pictures if you like.

Centerboard

Thanks Chris, but I'm having a little difficulty understanding the sailing language. If you could send a picture I think that would help. By the way my boat is a 93 model.

Art.

Pictures for you

Reyher said:
OK, Art. I will send pictures in the morning.

Here they are. I hope they help. Your boat may be rigged a little differently, but this is what is working for me. Let me know if you have questions.

Attachments

• IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1747.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 251
Centerboard

Thanks Chris. A picture (pictures) is worth a thousand words. I am missing that piece but I think I can get it rigged.

Art.

Art! If you bought this boat NEW, go back to the dealer and ask for the bungee!!

It's not like it is "optional equipment"!! Good luck - let us know how it turns out.

Centerboard

I did buy from a dealer, but it is a used boat. I'm going to call hin Tuesday and see if he has it. Does this cord have a particular name?

Thanks,

Art

Bungee Cord That Holds the Keel Down

Just tell the dealer that you are missing the bungee cord that holds the keel down. He will know what you are talking about. He might be able to make one up for you if you'd rather not do it yourself. You probably bought the boat "as is", so don't be surprised if he wants to charge you a few $$$ for it. :(

Bungee

If you have to make a new one, it should be 4' long, 3/8" dia. It uses a snap shackle to connect to the ring on the transom. It'll seem real stiff the first time you hook it up. That's normal - it takes a lot of force to hold the board down.

Back