Centerboard trunk sloshing into cockpit

Chris groves

This is my 3rd Laser and my previous 2 Laser did not have this problem. When I am sailing with winds above 10 knots water squirts up the right side of the centerboard trunk and partially fills the cockpit... This is a pain esp when I am not planing so the bailer will not immediately remove the water.

Do I need yo modify the centerboard trunk to make the tolerances between the board and the trunk smaller? The hull # is in the 168, XXX .

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Chris

Class rules do not allow for trunk modification. Have you tried a different board? Borrow on just to make sure it's not the board. Your current one could have a flat spot on the starboard side.

I am no longer racing the boat...

I will try another CB and see if this eliminates the problem. Actually the easier solution would be to fair the board with several coats of epoxy paint or microballoons/resin.

It could be the centerboard, even if there is some play in the trunk, the opposing forces should cause the board to be on a slight angle closing off the slot. usually if water is spraying up its because water is sneaking up the aft edge of the trunk at the waterline.

Yes... the water is coming up the aft edge of the board/trunk... other than buying a new board... Would painting the board with several coats of white epoxy paint likely solve this problem?

Making illegal modifications to boats is a fantastic way of making your boat unsellable if you choose to ever upgrade and on the chance you do sell it, really upset the new owner should their boat ever fail measurement bercause of your illegal modifications.

Making illegal modifications to boats is a fantastic way of making your boat unsellable if you choose to ever upgrade and on the chance you do sell it, really upset the new owner should their boat ever fail measurement bercause of your illegal modifications.

True, but the class is very "relaxed" when it comes to measuring boats at events. At the MOST you might have to get your sail stamped and lay the blades down on a template...When was the last time a boat got tossed at an event becaues it was discovered by a measurer that the centerboard trunk had been fiddled with?

True, but the class is very "relaxed" when it comes to measuring boats at events. At the MOST you might have to get your sail stamped and lay the blades down on a template...When was the last time a boat got tossed at an event becaues it was discovered by a measurer that the centerboard trunk had been fiddled with?
I threatened to toss several now, if illegal modifications weren't removed. Something I usually check when the boats aren't supplied. Further, if I ever discover something that looks like delibrate cheating, as opposed to ignorance of the rules, you'll quickly discosver that being tossed from the regatta is the least of your problems, you might be looking for a new sport for a few years.

Back