centerboard stuck

rboswrth

I bought an '88 capri a fews years back and sail on the Chesapeake. the center board jams in the slot and requires some major force to move up or down.

I found the problem is both sides of the center board slot have dish-panned inward. I think I also found the cause. The trailer was setup with the roll beneath the slot carrying the weight of the boat and pushing the bottom up. I fixed this but the dish pan remains.

I have put an inner tube into the slot and inflated it. It pushes the the bulges out but they return when the tube is removed.

I comtemplating the next step would be to apply heat with the tire tube but this risks delaminating the fibreglass.

Any suggestions?

Ed. thanks for getting back so quickly, I've seen the thread you cite, but I'm afraid I know what the problem is I just need to know how to fix it.

Maybe someone has some fibreglass experience with heat?
I had same problem. Sanded both sides of board until fit was just snug. When storing for winter I drive wooden shims down each side of board to hold each side of slot open further for several months. Seems to help some.

Back