Centerboard stop question

Kaiser

I'm taking the hardware off my centerboard and rudder for some badly needed painting and I can't figure out how to take the centerboard stop apart. The drawing on the APS site makes it look like the two ends just screw onto a center stud - but I'm afraid to twist too hard and break the ends...

How does the stop go together?

Another question - the tip of the trailing edge is bent to the side a bit and the last 1/4" or so of it is broken off. I figure I can replace the missing bit with some epoxy and fairing filler - but should I try to unbend or shave off the bit of edge that is tweaked to the side?

I've been looking at other centerboard threads.... it looks like these are made of some kind of plastic?!?

So does that mean I can hit it with a heat gun and warp it back to straight?

Ah... found some good info (there's a lot to search for between calling the thing a centerboard, a daggerboard, or just a blade - plus describing the damage as bent or warped etc.)

Some stuff on Gouv's page here: http://tinyurl.com/4wz8mt

How does the stop go together?

It doesn't screw together. You pound it with a mallet, so I'm not sure that if you pry it apart, that it will be salvageable.

Also, heat the bent tip lightly with a heat gun and it will bend right back.

Well between the $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight and a bit of West System with 407 filler (to replace the broken-off tip), my centerboard looks brand new... Or it will when I've finished painting it!

Back