Centerboard Stop Hose Replacement

boldham

Hi, I managed to lose one of the centerboard stops (must have come loose and fallen down the centerboard slot?). I figured I'd just grab some 3/8" ID heater hose from local automotive store. The original hose is over 3/4" OD but the hose at the auto parts store is about a 1/16" diameter less. Think it matters? If so, anyone know where I can find a proper replacement (locally)? I know Catalina Direct has a replacement kit for the stop, but I'm hoping to take advantage of the few remaining sailing days I have left. Thanks, Brendan

Maybe with the smaller diameter, it will stay on better? I think if you are able to slide it on, it is just what you need.
I lost the same part and used auto heater hose too. Worked fine.

Maybe with the smaller diameter, it will stay on better? I think if you are able to slide it on, it is just what you need.
I lost the same part and used auto heater hose too. Worked fine.
Thanks! I probably should have explained better! The inner diameter fits perfectly. It's the outer diameter that's different. This will allow the centerboard to pivot down slightly more. Given your experience, I suspect it doesn't matter! Thanks again

Thanks! I probably should have explained better! The inner diameter fits perfectly. It's the outer diameter that's different. This will allow the centerboard to pivot down slightly more. Given your experience, I suspect it doesn't matter! Thanks again
Consider wrapping vinyl electrical tape around the outer diameter to make up the difference.

Consider wrapping vinyl electrical tape around the outer diameter to make up the difference.
I ended up using the slightly smaller OD hose and it seems fine. I did order a replacement from Cat Direct, but it's on back order. I appreciate your reply. Happy sailing. (I am typing this on my phone and auto correct replaced sailing with sinking! Glad I have my readers on!)

Back