Class Politics centerboard shock cord

scrivan2

Hello,

Is it legal to run my centerboard shock cord from the leading edge of the board to one side of the bow, around a small portion of the bow and then up to the bow eye, on the other side?

I do this to avoid getting the bungie caught in the cunningham/outhaul preformance cleats on the deck.

Thanks

Andrew

scrivan2 said:
Hello,

Is it legal to run my centerboard shock cord from the leading edge of the board to one side of the bow, around a small portion of the bow and then up to the bow eye, on the other side?

I do this to avoid getting the bungie caught in the cunningham/outhaul preformance cleats on the deck.

Thanks

Andrew

Now? Technically, no. But because it was a common practice AND the wording of the rules was considered to be ambiguous, a proposal for a new wording of rule 7(e)ii was submitted to the membership last Spring (you did vote, right?).

So, the rule proposal passed and will come into effect on December 1, pending approval by ISAF at their meetings this week.

The new rule reads:
A tie line or shock cord shall be attached to the small hole in the upper forward corner of the centreboard, and any of the bow eye, the cunningham fairlead, the “Builder Supplied” deck block fitting and the mast to prevent loss of the centreboard in event of a capsize. The tie line or shock cord may be looped around the bow, but shall not be attached to the gunwale. Attachment can be by knots or loops in the shock cord, and/or tie lines, shackles, clips, hooks or eyes

Back