Centerboard Shock Cord

sailordude

Hey i just was out on my new laser for the second or third time and the centerboard keeps popping up. I think its the shock cord is to long or to short but i dont know. Also iv always wondered why people stretch the cord around the bow. If anyone knows the deal with that it would help.
Thanks

Sounds like you need to adjust the daggerboard brake (the little rubber "V" just in front of the ratchet block) The brake is really what keep the board down for those last 2-3".

You can adjust by loosening the two screws and then closing up the V. I set mine so the forward edges are almost touching.

The other trick/method with the brake is to angle it off center. That will cause one side of the brake to always be in contact with the board... Most of us that do this angle it so that the trailing edge of the board is pushed slightly to port. It's ever so slight, but the theory is that it helps the boat point a little higher on starboard tack, important on starts...

The shockcord around the bow allows the shockcord to avoid getting caught up in the lower block/cleat of the vang. Also keeps it off the outhaul/cunningham control lines. If you set it up so that the shockcord is coming from the startboard side of the bow, again the theory is it helps to pull the leading edge slightly to stbd, again helping in the same way as pushing the trailing edge to port does...

Another method with the shockcord instead of going around the bow, is to use the mast retainer line to bridge the two eyes holding the deck turning blocks and then to run the shockcord under the bridge, to one side of the mast and up to the bow eye. The bridge keeps the cord low and out of the way of the lower vang block/cleat and keeps the shockcord in between the cunningham and outhaul deck cleats....

jeez! thanks alot.. my brother had mentioned that little rubber V thing. hes fixing the trailor lights right now!! so im going to go fix that and see how it sails tonight. so you dont think that the cord is the wrong length?
thanks alot

the standard cord for the Laser Pro is usually a little long, but it works. I guess in the end, it is a matter of preference.

If the board slides down too easily while you're going downwind, you can take a number of inches off the shock cord (not too much, but it stretches, so more than just an inch or two)

I've shortened mine by tying a small bowline up agaist each side of the board. Since I haven't made a formal handle on my board, the loops work well as handles, though the springiness isn't optimal for that purpose. Doing so has made the cord hold the board in position and just loose enough to keep the board easy to slide with a tug.

hey,
does anyone have a picture of this bungee cord under the bow thing? I find i need something to keep the bungee away from my cunningham cleat.
Thanks

I don't know if you have found your answer yet, but here is a picture of how I rig the thing. I drew it on piant quickly so it's a bit crude. Basically, both sides of the bungee have to go on the starbord side of the mast and hook through the bracket for the bowline. You then flip the bungee under the nose to keep it out of the way of the vang. You will probably have to lengthen your bungee to make this work as well. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• bungeerigging.JPG
    bungeerigging.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 148
I personally have a long bungee cord, and run it on either side of the mast, but I've also seen guys who tie the thing off right to the mast, six of one half a dozen of another I guess

Back