Centerboard help

iahawk

I have a newly purchased 1973 American 16. I have a question about the centerboard--why are there two lines on the top of the trunk that are to operate the centerboard? The one aft seems to do all the work, whereas the forward line does not seem to do anything? I've sailed it once, with the centerboard in what I think was a fully down position and seemed to track properly, but am just curious about the correct use of the two control lines. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

im not familiar with that boat but in a 420 the front one pulls it up and holds it up and the aft pulls it down.

im not familiar with that boat but in a 420 the front one pulls it up and holds it up and the aft pulls it down.
Thanks, 420. I finally was able to get a good look up in the trunk and it does appear the front line attaches in front of the pivot rod, and so can be cleated to hold the centerboard in the upright position. The aft line would help raise the board back into the trunk. Sounds a bit opposite to the 420, but I think that's how this one works. So far, no problem anyway.

One year later..... I too just purchased an American 16, also a 1973.
What condition was yours in and was it all there? Mine needs a new tackle mount for the top of the centerboard. Otherwise not in terrible condition for a 40 year old vessel.
Cheers, Jim

Rockinxj, My boat was in pretty good condition. The centerboard did leak at the pivot, and still does, but I added some rubber gaskets on either side of the trunk and now the leaking seems just a drip in comparison. Otherwise, I did repaint this summer and it looks great now. I added some wood and fiberglass reinforcement on the ribbing under the roof of the cuddy area. There was a crack in the center of the top of the opening, and I repaired that. I sailed it twice this week, and noticed I took on a few gallons of water in the lower level which ran out when I pulled the plug. This is not the original plug and there may be a bit of leakage there. I'll try to totally close that up next time out and see if I still get water in. If I do, I have no clue where it's coming from!

My wife and I took ours out for the first time on Sunday. No leaks, engine purrs and she sails nice in light air. I guess we will go ahead and replace all the sheets and lines and keep "Cheap Thrills" for a while.
.facebook_-1817896512.jpg

Here is our boat, after painting and doing some fiberglass repair. I really like the paint I used on the hull, which wasn't cheap (about $45 a qt.) but I ended using less than a quart. She sails nicely, even in some heavier winds. I feel like she gives us a little reaction time, which I appreciate.
Hope you enjoy yours.
539487_177038752430894_1038990024_n.jpg

Back