Centerboard dropping while launching or trailering (solution)

Al W

Had a problem with the centerboard partially dropping below the hull and hanging up on the rear bar of the trailer. The design of the lines holding it up is ok but has too much stretch.
I came up with a simple solution that only involves a 3/8" hole in the centerboard and line with clip. See the pics to explain.

IMG_4782.JPG
IMG_4780.JPG IMG_4779.JPG IMG_4773.JPG

I did pretty much the same thing for the same problem. I drilled a 3/8 inch hole at the highest lift of the centerboard even with the deck and used a prong from an old manure fork (common plastic fork in a horse barn), which is tappered. I shove the prong through the hole wedging it in tight. Like your system, it keeps the board above the bottom gasket and securely in place. It can be popped out easily to use the board and I keep a few extra prongs in my pickup in case I lose the one I'm using.

I did pretty much the same thing for the same problem. I drilled a 3/8 inch hole at the highest lift of the centerboard even with the deck and used a prong from an old manure fork (common plastic fork in a horse barn), which is tapered. I shove the prong through the hole wedging it in tight. Like your system, it keeps the board above the bottom gasket and securely in place. It can be popped out easily to use the board and I keep a few extra prongs in my pickup in case I lose the one I'm using.
Likewise thanks for the solution! Now speaking of the bottom gasket.... My version 1 appears to have the original. Looks like a plastic material that does not seal towards the front of the opening. Thinking it might be worthwhile to order a new one from Catalina Direct......

I replaced the bottom gasket on my Mod 1 last summer. It was the original from the ' 80's so I found that most of the screws holding the hard plastic bracket were rusted and stuck very hard in place. Use WD-40 or something like that a day or so before attempting to get those screws out if your boat has a lot of years on her. I would recommend gentle turning with a hand screwdriver and not using a drill & driver or a power screwdriver. Out of all the many screws only about 5 or 6 broke off in the boat. Rather than weakening the screw holes to extract them I drilled new small holes in the bracket and into the boat after the gasket was secure everywhere else to prevent any alignment slippage. Unless you have some sort of lift or a trailer that gets the boat high off the ground this job can be a real pain insofar as squeezing under and working on your boat. I jacked up my trailer and set it on cinder blocks with wheels off the ground to give myself more room to work. Also, I used a thin application of rubber cement on each piece of the new gasket to tack them in place before trying to juggle the new gasket with the bracket at the same time. With the new gasket on the boat there is no water at all coming up onto the floor deck. Ah, one more thing, I used the old brackets as the new ones that came with the kit did not line up on the existing holes. Now my only concerning reflection is that I have a new horse and spend most of my free time riding again. New gasket or no, I don't know how much "Mon Elaine" is going to get into the water this year.

I replaced the bottom gasket on my Mod 1 last summer. It was the original from the ' 80's so I found that most of the screws holding the hard plastic bracket were rusted and stuck very hard in place. Use WD-40 or something like that a day or so before attempting to get those screws out if your boat has a lot of years on her. I would recommend gentle turning with a hand screwdriver and not using a drill & driver or a power screwdriver. Out of all the many screws only about 5 or 6 broke off in the boat. Rather than weakening the screw holes to extract them I drilled new small holes in the bracket and into the boat after the gasket was secure everywhere else to prevent any alignment slippage. Unless you have some sort of lift or a trailer that gets the boat high off the ground this job can be a real pain insofar as squeezing under and working on your boat. I jacked up my trailer and set it on cinder blocks with wheels off the ground to give myself more room to work. Also, I used a thin application of rubber cement on each piece of the new gasket to tack them in place before trying to juggle the new gasket with the bracket at the same time. With the new gasket on the boat there is no water at all coming up onto the floor deck. Ah, one more thing, I used the old brackets as the new ones that came with the kit did not line up on the existing holes. Now my only concerning reflection is that I have a new horse and spend most of my free time riding again. New gasket or no, I don't know how much "Mon Elaine" is going to get into the water this year.
Thx for the comeback and the detailed advice!!
Wondering if I should go through the trouble to replace them? Sailed once in fairly quick conditions and did not see any water come up through the slot. So maybe good enough for now....
And I share your angst about splitting up whatever free time we have for our various hobbies. I have a backyard resort with a nice heated pool, etc. Also work a lot of hours. And there are always things going on to take away from the time that could be spent sailing. That's why the Capri is perfect for me. Storing it at a Park District facility, ready to drop in at a moment's notice at a lake that's directly on my way home from work!
Makes it easy to frequently sail for a short and then head home to the pool and grill. Also easy to drag it up to a few nice medium sized lakes that are a short drive from home.
"Living the Dream"

Back