Catfish (?) Project

norcalsail

A while back, Signal Charlie had posted pictures of their Catfish which I thought was really cool. About a year ago, I was driving on the outskirts of town and noticed this boat. I finally stopped and talked to a guy who lives there. The boat has been sitting a few years but is all there. I was wondering if this is an Alcort Catfish. I didn't want to pry too much and did not see any identifying marks. He seemed to think the owner would sell it although it's probably not realistic for me (maybe). Still, I thought I would post it because it is pretty interesting.

Attachments

• 20191119_105850 (1).jpg
    20191119_105850 (1).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 61
  • 20191119_105904.jpg
    20191119_105904.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
  • 20191119_110024.jpg
    20191119_110024.jpg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20191119_110026.jpg
    20191119_110026.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
That's what I thought. I have some photos from the back I want to add.
20191119_105942.jpg

Attachments

• 20191119_110352.jpg
    20191119_110352.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
It doesn't look like any of the multi-hull sailboats on ShortyPen's website (which is a great resource for old small sailboats).
You're right Tag and it is not a Catfish either. It has some similarities to the Catfish but when I was next to it yesterday I wasn't sure. Well, I won't pursue it. Just the height of the mast was discouraging. I really like the short and easy mast of our Sunfish sailers. Interesting though...and now, back to Sunfish!

Reactions: tag
looks like a Rod MacAlpine-Downey design. All of Rods hulls had the same basic shape.
I thought exactly the same. The bow profile is practically identical to that of the Buccaneer. He designed several very similar-looking cats but I don't think any of them is a match; what's most different with this are those cockpits...

Just out of curiosity, you (norcalsail) might want to ask the owner some more if it isn't too much trouble. If he doesn't know what it is, ask at least if you can take a few more pictures, like of a possible insignia on the mainsail, and what looks like a sticker/plaque right below the mast step. Because boat detective work is always fun :D

_

I'll keep an eye on this boat and maybe stop by again in a while. The guy was an old sailor and thought it had a lot of Hobie parts which he said he used to sail.

The novel feature is the foot wells on both hulls; I don't recall seeing this design on any other cats. Virtually all small catamarans have a flush "deck" usually a taut fabric trampoline or a fiberglass "floor". In the 1960s, there was an explosion of small catamaran designs, most of them pretty bad, but a few good designs emerged.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Interesting boat. Definitely not a Catfish. The Catfish has dual centerboards, which is pretty cool when running up onto the beach. SMEDLEY has a lot more curve, no spar between the pontoons and no jib.

Our Catfish cockpit has drains, I think we could plug them up and put some ice and beverages in there.

IMG_5612.jpg

Here in Redneck Land, Christmas lights stay up all year, LOL... :rolleyes:

Finally got Internet in my home, "Call CNN!!!" :eek:

Wait, don't call those tools, just know that I'm a happy camper... ;)

Gonna check out the Cowboy Mounted Shooting Competition in Tombstone next weekend, should be a cool contest... :cool:

Here in Redneck Land, Christmas lights stay up all year, LOL... :rolleyes:

Finally got Internet in my home, "Call CNN!!!" :eek:

Wait, don't call those tools, just know that I'm a happy camper... ;)

Gonna check out the Cowboy Mounted Shooting Competition in Tombstone next weekend, should be a cool contest... :cool:
Watch out for stray bullets!

Last edited:
Are you kidding? I'll catch 'em in my teeth and spit 'em back out like that dude in "THE MASK"---fully automatic, LOL. Targets will be shredded and I might even win the contest... :eek:

Back