Catfish manual?

Tim H

Hello,

I'm just finishing the restoration of my 1964 catfish. Does anyone have a manual? Or could someone at least tell me how long the main sheet should be? Also I have an extra mast, boom and rudders for sale.. I bought an extra parts boat..

Hello,

I'm just finishing the restoration of my 1964 catfish. Does anyone have a manual? Or could someone at least tell me how long the main sheet should be? Also I have an extra mast, boom and rudders for sale.. I bought an extra parts boat..
20210810_125704.jpg

She looks great! I believe we bought 50 feet for the halyard and once we got it rigged we cut it to length. Seems like it was well over 30 feet, we used the excess for a bow line and other things. Your layard will be super long also, around 50 feet.

IMG_5615.jpeg

I'd hold on to those rudders, they are hard to find. If you anticipate capsizing, you'll want to make sure your rudder pins are held in place somehow, I've hear of those falling out and disappearing.

Good advice.. My issue biggest issue now that I thought I was ready to sail her today is that when I put in the first dagger board, I can't get it out. Slid in fairly easy, but even with 2 can't pull it out. I think either the boards or the slot must have swelled... unless there's some major trick I don't know about..

Push the boat onto shallow water until the board hits the sand. Bounce straight down on the deck next to the board, and that should ease the "unsticking" process. :)

The dual pivoting centerboards have little rounded dowels that fit into slots on either side of the board(s), the boards can be completely removed but there is a method. But it sounds like yours is stuck and won't move at all. I would suspect a swollen centerboard. Or if you ran it up on sand and it sat for a bit, there may be sand jammed in there, a thin knife or hacksaw blade may clean out the trunk enough to get the board free.

The board has a wood core, covered by fiberglass and gelcoat, so if water got into the wood then the ply it could have swollen.

Thank you, yes I think it swelled, but finally got it out and had a couple spares so back in business. The traveler still seems convoluted. With a Hobie there is just one tiller so doesn't get in the way as much. I'm attaching a couple videos..
Tim

Back