Cartopping without a roofrack...

imacaroo

I am looking into buying a laser in the next couple weeks and dont have the extra money to buy a kitty hawk also. So i will cartop for now. I have 3 vehicles to choose from a 99 Chevy s-10 reg cab, 93 saturn sl2 no roof rack, and a 74 VW westfalia. What would be the best way to cartop on any of these, and the cheapest. Please help me obi wans your my only hope! haha! I really do need help, any and all info will help. Also if you have pictures that can help post those to. Thanks!

I'm not sure whether you can get them in the US, but here you can get a thing called a softrack. Its really just some straps with padded sleeves. Designed for carrying surfboards, but the double version is wide enough to take a laser. I dont know anything about the cars you have though, so cant say whether it would work in your case.

edit:
wow, a quick google found this:
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~surfer/soft_rack_instructions.pdf

Which shows the idea. Perhaps you could create something similar?

Hi
We have discussed this often at TLF. Go tothe TLF tool bar above and there click to the "Search"-functionality. Search for "roof rack" or "car top" to find enough suitable informations here.
You are searching for a possibility to store the Laser on the top of a car without a roof rack. I guess you think to put the Laser direct to the roof. I remember, that there have been advises to construct selfmade roof racks at TLF but I just can't find them. The Westfalia VW perhaps is a bit to high to put the Laser on alone, therfore you need a roofrack, I guess.

Ciao
LooserLu

Hi
We have discussed this often at TLF. Go tothe TLF tool bar above and there click to the "Search"-functionality. Search for "roof rack" or "car top" to find enough suitable informations here.
Ciao
LooserLu

I don't remember anything about car topping without a roof rack though. Maybe there is something.

How far to you have to travel ?

W/O any racks, I would toss it in the back of the S-10 for short hauls

Otherwise get yourself some decent racks for the S-10 or the Saturn so you don't end up like this:
overloaded4.jpg

or this

Don%27t-overload-your-trailer.jpg

Attachments

• Catopping - the Greece way.jpg
    Catopping - the Greece way.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the help everyone I believe I will be getting a trailer. I just got some extra money from my money tree and should be shelling out some dough for a kitty hawk! Thanks again!

you could buy a inexpensive trailer and modify it for a laser. i have an old boat trailer that we have used and we carry a laser upside down on its deck so not to hurt the bottom. the bunks have been modified to support the deck. trailer was about $250.

i also have a laser i am working on that will be for sale soon if you are interested.

If the bus is dependable, I'd put a rack on it. They make very rugged racks that attach to the pop top. You can travel farther to regattas and sleep in your own vehicle. That would seem to be the cheapest long term solution, by far. You're the closest guy to the regatta in the morning and some of the savings can be spent on huevos escalfado y cafe. Mmm...

S

If the bus is dependable, I'd put a rack on it. They make very rugged racks that attach to the pop top. You can travel farther to regattas and sleep in your own vehicle. That would seem to be the cheapest long term solution, by far. You're the closest guy to the regatta in the morning and some of the savings can be spent on huevos escalfado y cafe. Mmm...

S

We used a 1985 Westy to carry around a 1977 orange hull. We had to extend the roof rack anchors with quarter inch metal plate, but it worked for years. I would avoid attaching anything to the pop top. I agree that the westy is the best Laser regatta vehicle going - if you don't want to get there fast. ;-)!

We never got a chance to do this though:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSkkzgRbvLg&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - VW-PORSCHE BUS[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MLCuaPdPew&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Porsche GT3 X Aston Martin X Kombi ( VW Van )[/ame] (watch at 1:03)

Do yourself (and your car, boat and any following Traffic) a favour and look at a strong and safe roof rack solution like 'Thule' or simmilar.

There we go I nerd my van like that and I can get there superfast, and sleep by the water as long as i don't fip and burn on the the way. Really cool videos though thanks for showing me my vans potential!

As an post stated find and older boat trailer and modify for the Laser. You could
look at Harbour Freight tools small boat trailer. Save your back and the scratches
on the boat.

I searched threads for trailers, last year Sonex had a thread on HF trailers for Laser.
You might want to PM him, he might have some pics from his project.

Pickup truck method works

We have a fleet member that uses the pickup truck method for transport. It works. Just pad under the boat with towels or moving blankets. Boat should be deck down hull up

There we go I nerd my van like that and I can get there superfast, and sleep by the water as long as i don't fip and burn on the the way. Really cool videos though thanks for showing me my vans potential!

Hang on, this one is 140,000 euros

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-1HPd1L84I"]YouTube - Vw Bus T5 mit Porsche 996 Turbo Motor TH-Auto auf dem Dyno[/ame]

The TH2 Multivan has had a Porsche 996 GT2's 3.6 liter twin-turbo engine Frankenstein-ed into place behind the fuel tank, resulting in a 558PS, 807 Nm rear-drive people-hauler. A choice of rear- or all-wheel drive is available. If you want to go truly wild, TH Automotive will leave the standard 150PS diesel in place up front, for double-engined goodness.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090327.022/volkswagen-t5-van-with-558ps-porsche-996-engine-by-th-auto

how about making a rack to go in the bed of your S-10 with 2X4's? My uncle did that several years ago and it's still holding up well. It's also DIRT CHEAP

Back